Whitewater High School (Georgia)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Whitewater High School|
100 Wildcat Way
|Motto||"Knowledge, Opportunity, and Success"|
|Teaching staff||90.50 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||16.33|
|Color(s)||Cardinal red, silver and black|
WHS officially opened in fall 2003, and began holding classes for freshmen. A senior class first enrolled in 2006-2007.
The school is estimated[according to whom?] to have cost $29 million, and has Promethean boards in almost every room, an advanced security system, and Bluetooth technology running throughout the building.
With over 430 students, the class of 2007 was the first to graduate WHS. Commencement took place on May 25, 2007 complete with a military flyover and slideshow presentation highlighting their past four years of achievement.
The school is located next to Sara Harp Minter Elementary School, and is a short distance south of Whitewater Middle School. The building is over 300,000 square feet (28,000 m2) in size, making it the largest government building in Fayette County. It is laid out in a grid pattern with four main hallways intersected by three perpendicular cross halls. This allows for quick access to any room in the building. Skylights in the halls provide natural light.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (November 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
WHS's fine arts programs include Art, Band, Chorus, Drama, and Orchestra.
Every March the WHS Chorus program presents the Whitewater Spectacular.
The Whitewater Wildcat Marching Band is an ensemble of approximately 120 members. In 2008, the band performed in front of the USS Missouri in Pearl Harbor and Tripler Army Medical Center during its trip to Hawaii. The band has received awards such as Grand Champions at the 14th Annual St. Augustine Ancient City Presentation of Bands, Grand Champions at the 2007 Southern Star Invitational, 1st in class AAAA at the 2008 Greater Atlanta Music Festival, and Grand Champions at the 2009 Eagle's Nest Invitational. The band has also performed in the Dublin, Ireland St. Patrick's Day Parade in 2012 and 2016.
The fight song that the band plays after touchdowns is the University of Michigan's "The Victors".
Whitewater High School's athletics include:
- Baseball - 2014 AAAAA State Runner-Up; 2015 AAAA State Runner-Up; five consecutive Final Four appearances from 2011-2015
- Cheerleading - second place in class, state
- Color guard - 2015 White Columns Invitational 1st place in class AAAA, 4th in show; 2015 Legacy of Champions 1st place in show; 2015 Creekviww Classic 1st place in show
- Cross country - 2009 girls' cross country State Finalists
- Football - 2006 Region 4-AAAA runner-up; 2010 beat Northside Warner Robins, #4 team in the nation, 28-21; 2012 made it to the Final 4 coming up short to Gainesville.
- Soccer - 2007 girls' soccer Class AAAA State Champions; 2007 boys' soccer Class AAAA State Runner-Up; 2006 boys' soccer Region 4-AAAA Champions
- Softball - 2009 Class AAAA State Runner-Up
- Track & field
- Volleyball - 2009 Class AAAA State Champions
- Winter Guard - 3rd place, Sapa 2016 National Championships
- Wrestling - 2006-2007 State Duals Runner-Up; 2008-2009 Area 5-AAAA Duals Champions; 2008-2009 Area 5-AAAA Traditional Champions; 2008-2009 State Duals Class AAAA Champions
In the newsEdit
The school is known for its community involvement and fundraising capabilities. Whitewater High School raised the most money in Georgia for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Pennies for Patients program twice in a row. In the 2006-2007 school year, WHS raised $22,421.46, giving them a sixty-six place ranking in all of the country. In 2009, WHS raised approximately $12,000 for Pennies for Patients, making its six-year total fundraising for that cause surpass $100,000.