Weynay Ghebresilasie (born 24 March 1994 in Gheza Hamle, Eritrea) is an Eritrean runner who specializes in the 3000 metres steeplechase. He competed in that event at the 2012 Summer Olympics, coming tenth in his heat, and was the flag bearer of the Eritrean team. He also placed sixth at the 2012 World Junior Championships in Athletics that year.
Subsequent to the Olympics, he sought political asylum in the United Kingdom. He joined Sunderland Harriers & Athletic Club and stated that if successful in his asylum application he would like to run for Great Britain.
- Weynay Ghebresilasie profile at IAAF
- "Olympic Results, Gold Medalists and Official Records". International Olympic Committee. 2017-02-23. Retrieved 2018-04-09.
- Staff. "London 2012 Opening Ceremony - Flag Bearers" (PDF). Olympics. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- Quinn, Ben (2012-08-14). "Eritrea's flag-carrying runner seeks asylum in UK to flee repressive regime". the Guardian. Retrieved 2018-04-09.
- Weynay Ghebresilasie: Running for freedom in Sunderland. BBC Sport. Retrieved on 2013-04-07.
|This biographical article relating to Eritrean athletics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|