Weekend Today (Australian TV program)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Weekend Today is an Australian breakfast television program, currently hosted by David Campbell and Allison Langdon. The program has been broadcast live by the Nine Network since 2009 and airs after children's programming and runs from 7am to 10am on weekends.
|Genre||Breakfast news program|
|Presented by||David Campbell|
|Country of origin||Australia|
|No. of seasons||6|
|No. of episodes||526 (as of 27 April 2014)|
|Executive producer(s)||Mark Calvert|
|Production location(s)||Willoughby, New South Wales|
|Running time||180 minutes|
|Original network||Nine Network|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)|
|Original release||1 February 2009 –|
Sunday Morning News
In January 2009, David Gyngell, chief executive of the Nine Network and John Westacott, former head of news and current affairs announced that Today would begin broadcasting on Sunday mornings. The program entitled, Today on Sunday, competes in the same timeslot as the Seven Network's Weekend Sunrise, which dominates Sunday morning television nationally, except on the east coast. The show launched on 1 February 2009 and the original team consisted of Cameron Williams and Leila McKinnon with the news presented by Amber Sherlock and the sport was presented by Tim Gilbert on Saturday and Michael Slater on Sunday.
On 2 May 2009, after the launch of Today on Sunday, the Nine Network announced through a surprise edition that Today on Saturday would return. The program incorporates the same presenting team as the Sunday edition, being the first Australian breakfast news program to broadcast seven days a week. Due to the launch of the Saturday version of the program, the Nine Network renamed the programs as Today: Weekend Edition. David Gyngell said the launch of the Weekend editions were a part of the Nine Network's plans to strengthen its news and current affairs department and return viewers to its once leading news service. In July 2009, Today: Weekend Edition was rebranded as Weekend Today.
In September 2012, Weekend Today was extended to 3 hours on Saturday mornings.
In September 2014, Deborah Knight permanently replaced Leila McKinnon as co-host of the show; following McKinnon's move to the News Department.
In December 2017, Knight was appointed as host of Nine News Sydney on Friday and Saturday nights. She replaced Georgie Gardner who replaced Lisa Wilkinson on Today. It was later announced that 60 Minutes reporter Allison Langdon would replace Knight on Weekend Today. Peter Stefanovic also returned as host replacing Tom Steinfort who will become a reporter on 60 Minutes.
In December 2018, it was announced that Peter Stefanovic had parted ways with the Nine Network to pursue other opportunities. In January 2019, Today Extra host David Campbell was appointed as Stefanvoic’s replacement. Clint Stanaway also joined the team as a sport presenter and Tim Davies as weather presenter.
Anchors and News presentersEdit
The hosts and news presenters of Weekend Today have included:
|Hosts of Weekend Today||Tenure||News presenter/s|
|Cameron Williams and Leila McKinnon||2009 – 2014||Amber Sherlock (2009 – 2010)|
Alicia Loxley (2010 – 2011
Deborah Knight (2011– 2014)
|Cameron Williams and Deborah Knight||2014 – 2016||Sylvia Jeffreys (2014)|
Wendy Kingston (2014 – 2015)
Jayne Azzopardi (2016 – present)
|Peter Stefanovic and Deborah Knight||2016||Jayne Azzopardi (2016 – present)|
|Tom Steinfort and Deborah Knight||2017|
|Peter Stefanovic and Allison Langdon||2018|
|David Campbell and Allison Langdon||2019|
Fill-in hosts for Weekend Today include Jayne Azzopardi, Richard Wilkins and Belinda Russell.
Fill-in news presenters for Weekend Today include Lara Vella, Belinda Russell and Mark Burrows
Substitute presenters in recent years have included Amelia Adams, Wendy Kingston, David Campbell, Dougal Beatty, Tim Gilbert, Sylvia Jeffreys, Alicia Loxley, Davina Smith, Belinda Russell, Richard Wilkins, Ben Fordham, Ken Sutcliffe, Natalia Cooper, Tony Jones, Brenton Ragless, Natalie Gruzlewski, Sarah Harris, Shelley Craft, Clint Stanaway, Ross Greenwood, Chris Urquhart and Jonathan Uptin.
Sport presenters have included:
- Michael Slater (Sunday: 2009 – 2010)
- Tim Gilbert (Saturday: 2009 – 2010)
- Tim Gilbert (2010–September 2014)
- Nathan Brown (September 2014 – December 2014)
- Cameron Williams (2015 – 2016)
- Tom Steinfort (2016 – 2017)
- Peter Stefanovic (2016; 2018)
- Clint Stanaway (2019 – present)
In December 2009, Felicity Whelan began presenting the weather on Weekend Today after she was chosen through the weekend weather competition, Whelan also filled in for Steven Jacobs on Today. However, in April 2010, main fill-in weather presenter, Emma Freedman replaced Whelan who joined Network Ten. Due to budget cuts at the Nine Network, Freedman was made redundant in late 2014. In 2015, Natalia Cooper was appointed as weather presenter. In December 2016, Steve Jacobs announced that he would be leaving Today to join Weekend Today as weather presenter. In March 2019, it was announced that Nine News reporter Tim Davies would join the team as weather presenter.
Weather presenters have included:
- Felicity Whelan (2009 – 2010)
- Emma Freedman (2010 – 2014)
- Natalia Cooper (2015 – 2016)
- Steve Jacobs (2017 – 2018)
- Tim Davies (2019 – present)
In February 2009, Michele Mahone joined Weekend Today as Hollywood Gossip reporter where she reported on the latest entertainment news. She remained with the show until September 2013 due to the show going in 'another direction'. That other direction was Susanne Messara who presented the latest entertainment news from the couch. This idea failed and media personality Giselle Ugarte was appointed entertainment presenter situated again in Hollywood. In 2015, Daily Telegraph columnist Elle Halliwell was appointed entertainment presenter replacing Ugarte. Halliwell along with the entertainment segments were removed shortly after.
Entertainment presenters have included:
- Michele Mahone (2009 – 2013)
- Susanne Messara (2013 – 2014)
- Gisele Ugarte (2014)
- Elle Halliwell (2015)
- Knox, David (4 January 2009). "Today Launching Sunday Edition". TV Tonight. Retrieved 4 January 2009.
- Knox, David (28 January 2009). "Weekend Sunrise wakes up to Today's alarm". TV Tonight. Retrieved 28 January 2009.
- Knox, David (3 May 2009). "Today's Surprise Saturday". TV Tonight. Retrieved 3 May 2009.
- Knox, David (10 February 2016). "Cameron Williams Exits Nine". TV Tonight. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- Knox, David (12 February 2016). "Peter Stefanovic for Weekend Today". TV Tonight. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- Knox, David (19 November 2016). "Peter Stefanovic to Join 60 Minutes". TV Tonight. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- Knox, David (8 December 2016). "Nine News Promotes Team With New Appointments". TV Tonight. Retrieved 8 December 2016.
- Knox, David (13 December 2017). "Deb Knight Moves To Primetime". TV Tonight. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- Knox, David (8 January 2018). "Tom Steinfort Joins 60 Minutes". TV Tonight. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- Knox, David (10 January 2018). "Allison Langdon & Peter Stefanovic For Weekend Today". TV Tonight. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- Knox, David (18 December 2018). "Peter Stefanovic Quits Nine". TV Tonight. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- Knox, David (5 January 2019). "Deb Knight, Tom Steinfort Join Georgie On Today". TV Tonight. Retrieved 5 January 2019.