Karl Stefanovic (born 12 August 1974) is an Australian Gold Logie-winning television presenter. Stefanovic is the host of Nine Network's show This Time Next Year and was co-host of Today, the Nine Network's breakfast program, with Georgie Gardner for almost 14 years until it was announced in December 2018 that he will not be returning to the role as co-host in 2019.
Karl Stefanovic in 2009
|Born||12 August 1974|
|Alma mater||Queensland University of Technology|
|Occupation||Television presenter |
National Nine News
|Spouse(s)||Jasmine Yarbrough (2017-present) |
Cassandra Thorburn (div. 2016)
Stefanovic studied journalism at university, but after earning his degree could not secure a cadetship. At his father's suggestion, he auditioned for NIDA, but did not make the final cut despite making it through a few rounds of auditions. Although he was encouraged to re-apply for the following year, he took up a job offer from WIN Television in Rockhampton instead.
In 1996, Stefanovic took up a position with TVNZ as a reporter for One Network News in New Zealand. In 1998, Stefanovic returned to Australia with a job reporting and presenting for Ten News in Brisbane, and also acted as a fill-in news presenter for Ron Wilson in Sydney.
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In 2000, Stefanovic moved to the Nine Network as a reporter and back-up presenter for National Nine News in Brisbane. He received a Queensland Media Award for Best News Coverage for his report on the Childers backpacker hostel fire in 2000. His reports on the 2001 Warragamba bushfires from Sussex Inlet in January 2002 led to his appointment to Nine's Sydney newsroom, and he was involved in the coverage of the 2003 Canberra bushfires.
In February 2005, Stefanovic replaced Today host Steve Liebmann and currently co-hosts the program with Georgie Gardner. He has been a fill-in host on A Current Affair for Tracy Grimshaw. In 2006, he participated in the Nine Network reality television show Torvill and Dean's Dancing on Ice. He eventually made it to the grand final of the show, but was beaten by Jake Wall by a viewer poll. In 2008, Stefanovic took over as host of Nine Network's Carols by Candlelight with Lisa Wilkinson replacing longtime host Ray Martin. He continued to host Carols by Candlelight until 2012, when he was replaced by David Campbell.
In 2011, along with his hosting role at Today, Stefanovic is a contributing reporter on 60 Minutes. More recently, Stefanovic began hosting a Sunday evening edition of A Current Affair (ACA Sunday). In December 2011 Stefanovic was a crew member aboard racing supermaxi yacht Investec LOYAL when it won line honours in the 2011 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race. Stefanovic hosted the Nine Network's evening reports on the 2012 London Olympics.
In December 2013, Stefanovic was a crew member aboard racing supermaxi yacht Perpetual Loyal in the 2013 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race, with his other celebrity crew members, Larry Emdur, Guillaume Brahimi, Tom Slingsby, Phil Waugh and Jude Bolton.
In October 2015, Stefanovic hosted television panel show The Verdict on the Nine Network. The weekly show mixed elements of successful programs The Project and Q&A but courted controversy with its line-up of panelists.
In July 2017, Stefanvoic began hosting This Time Next Year on the Nine Network.
Karl met journalist Cassandra Thorburn at a party in Rockhampton in 1995 and later married; they have three children together. In September 2016, it was revealed that Stefanovic had separated from his wife after 21 years; their divorce was finalised in October 2017.
In July 2016, Stefanovic attracted criticism from the LGBT community after using the word "tranny" and making a number of jokes deemed transphobic during a segment on Today. On 29 July 2016, a day after the segment, Stefanovic made a public apology on the show stating that "I was an ignorant tool,” and further explained that he was informed of how offensive the term was considered.
|2016||Independence Day: Resurgence||Himself - Reporter||Movie (scene cut)|
|Great Barrier Reef||Himself - Presenter||3 episodes|
|2011||The Jesters||Himself||Go for Gold (#2.8)|
|2010||A Current Affair||Himself - Reporter||Episode dated 22 March 2010|
|2009||Australia's Funniest Home Videos||Himself||20 Year Special (#20.8)|
|2008||Hole in the Wall||Himself - Brains Team Captain||Brains vs. Brawn (#1.6)|
|2007||A Current Affair||Himself - Fill-in Host||Episode dated 27 August 2007|
|20 to 1||Himself||50 to 01: Great Movie One Liners (#4.10)|
|Temptation||Himself - Contestant||2 episodes|
|2006||Torvill & Dean's Dancing on Ice||Himself||8 episodes|
|Bert's Family Feud||Himself - Team Captain||3 episodes|
|2005||The Price Is Right||Himself||Episode dated 24 October 2005|
On 15 November 2014, Stefanovic revealed in an interview with Fairfax Media that he had been wearing the same suit on-air every day for a year, "except for a couple of times because of circumstance," as what he claimed to be an experiment in sexism. He claims that, while his female colleagues receive regular criticism for whatever they wear, nobody noticed his outfit the whole time. He did, however, vary his ties and shirts more regularly than his suit.
- Karl Stefanovic cranks up the karaoke for Girls Just Wanna have Fun at 35th birthday - Sydney Confidential (The Daily Telegraph), 17 August 2009
- "Karl Stefanovic leaves 'TODAY': 'It's been a tough time'". Honey Celebrity. 19 December 2018. Retrieved 19 December 2018.
- Lallo, Michael (12 December 2014). "Today broadcaster Karl Stefanovic talks about food, sexism, Lisa Wilkinson and Melrose Place". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
- "Karl Stefanovic". NineMSN. Archived from the original on 22 August 2011.
- "Karl Stefanovic hosts ACA Sunday". TV Tonight. Retrieved 20 April 2011.
- "Investec LOYAL race winner as appeal dismissed". Sydney Morning Herald. AAP. 29 December 2011. Retrieved 29 December 2011.
- "Sydney to Hobart 2013". Perpetual. Archived from the original on 10 December 2013. Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "The Verdict is in: Karl Stefanovic controversial new show tanks in the ratings". Smh.com.au. 16 October 2015. Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- "Stefanovic 'throws tanty' after origin state revealed". Ninemsn. 17 July 2013. Archived from the original on 30 January 2014. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- Wide World of Sports website Archived 29 November 2014 at the Wayback Machine; retrieved 17 November 2014
- Mason, James (2011). Churchie: The Centenary Register. Brisbane, Australia: The Anglican Church Grammar School. ISBN 978-0-646-55807-3.
- "Karl Stefanovic's shock split from wife of 21 years, reports". The Sydney Morning Herald. 18 September 2016. Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- Croffey, Amy (8 October 2017). "How Cassandra Thorburn celebrated her divorce from Karl Stefanovic". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 8 February 2018.
- Croffey, Amy (6 February 2018). "Karl Stefanovic and Jasmine Yarbrough make engagement public". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 8 February 2018.
- Bond, Nick (29 July 2017). "Karl's mea culpa: 'I was an ignorant tool'". News.com.au. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- "Karl Stefanovic's sexism experiment: Today presenter wears same suit for a year". Sydney Morning Herald. 15 November 2014. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karl Stefanovic.|
Co-host with Georgie Gardner
14 February 2005 – present
|Awards and achievements|
| Gold Logie Award
Most Popular Personality on Australian Television
| Logie Award
Most Popular TV Presenter