This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Jean-Christophe Le Saoût (born July 19, 1975 in Vernon, Eure), better known by the stage name Wax Tailor, is a French trip hop/hip hop producer. He has released six studio albums collaborating with a great number of artists.
|Birth name||Jean-Christophe Le Saoût|
|Genres||Trip hop, turntablism, hip hop, downtempo, electronica, electro swing|
|Instruments||live show features WT - turntables/keys-laptop/video, Marina Quaisse - cello, Charlotte Savary - vocals, Marine Thibault - flute, Mr Gib - sound engineer, Madwreck & Mattic (The Others) - MCs.|
|Years active||2001 - present|
Le Plan (US)
|Associated acts||Marina Quaisse, Charlotte Savary, Mr Gib, Madwreck & Mattic from The Others.|
After being a host on a French radio in the Paris suburb of Mantes-La-Jolie, Le Saoût started the French Rap band La Formule in the 1990s. He created his label Lab'Oratoire in 1998 and produced records from La Formule as well as Break Beat compilations and a collaboration with the Swedish band Looptroop. He began work on the Wax Tailor project in 2001, first appearing on a remix of Looptroop & La Formule's "Deep Under Water".
Wax Tailor's first EP Lost the Way was released in 2004 and features contributions from Charlotte Savary, Marina Quaisse, and Big Dada rapper Infinite Livez. This was followed the same year by another EP titled Que Sera / Where My Heart's At).
His first full-length album Tales of the Forgotten Melodies was released in March 2005, mixing hip-hop, downtempo, trip hop with samples extracted from movies. This album became one of the best selling electronic releases of the year. This was followed by a second album Hope & Sorrow released in April 2007.
Wax Tailor's third album, In The Mood For Life was released on September 22, 2009. His fourth album Dusty Rainbow From The Dark is a concept album, and was released in 2012. A fifth album, By Any Beats Necessary was released on October 14, 2016.
- Winner of 2013 Sacem Electronic Music Prize
- Winner of the 7th annual Independent Music Awards Vox Pop vote for best Dance/Electronica album Hope & Sorrow
- Three of his albums, Hope & Sorrow, In The Mood for Life and Dusty Rainbow From The Dark were nominated for Best Electronic Album at the Victoires de la Musique in France
|2005||Tales of the Forgotten Melodies||150|
|2007||Hope & Sorrow||31|
|2009||In the Mood for Life||9|
|2012||Dusty Rainbow from the Dark||8|
|2016||By Any Beats Necessary||30|
|2017||By Any Remixes Necessary|
- Live albums
|2010||Live 2010 à l'Olympia||62|
|2014||Phonovisions Symphonic Orchestra|
EPs and singlesEdit
|2004||Que Sera/Where My Heart's At|
|Lost the Way|
|2006||Our Dance/Walk the Line||Tales of the Forgotten Melodies|
|2007||To Dry Up/The Games You Play||78||Hope and Sorrow|
|Positively Inclined / The Way We Lived||78|
|2008||We Be / There Is Danger||78|
|2009||"Say Yes" (feat. ASM)||30||In the Mood for Life|
|This Train" / "Leave It||25|
|2010||I Own You|
|2012||Heart Stop||81||Dusty Rainbow from the Dark|
|2016||I Had a Woman||194|
|2017||The Chase Remixes|
Covers, references, and samplingEdit
- True, Chris. "Biography: Wax Tailor". Allmusic. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- fr:Victoires de la musique 2008#Artiste de musiques .C3.A9lectroniques ou dance de l.27ann.C3.A9e
- fr:Victoires de la musique 2010#L.E2.80.99enregistrement de musiques .C3.A9lectroniques ou dance de l.E2.80.99ann.C3.A9e
- LesCharts.com: Wax Tailor discography
- "Le Top de la semaine : Top Singles Téléchargés - SNEP (Week 23, 2016)" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved 11 June 2016.