Washington and Lee Generals football
The Washington and Lee Generals football team represents Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia. The Generals compete at NCAA Division III level as members of the Old Dominion Athletic Conference.
|Washington and Lee Generals football|
|Athletic director||Jan Hathorn|
1st season, 0–0 (–)
|Conference||Old Dominion Athletic Conference|
|Conference titles||1 (1914)|
Blue and White|
Washington and Lee football dates back to 1873 with a one-game season, featuring a 4–2 win over the VMI Keydets. No player or coaching records are known from that game. UVA historians also remark on a game played between Virginia and Washington and Lee in 1871 with no records. The Generals would not have another intercollegiate team until 1890.
The first golden era of W&L football began in 1905. Between 1905 and 1917 the Generals reeled off 13 straight winning seasons. From 1912 to 1915, W&L went 32–3–1 and won the South Atlantic Intercollegiate Athletic Association (SAIAA) championship in 1914. The 1914 team, coached by Jogger Elcock, was the first team in school history to go undefeated (9–0). Members of that team include All-Southern lineman Ted Shultz and College Football Hall of Fame running back Harry Young. It secured a share of the title when it finished the season with a victory over North Carolina A & M. The school temporarily gave up football in 1954.
- "Completmentary Typeface and Color : Washington and Lee University". Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- "A History of Washington and Lee Athletics". Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- Ratcliffe, Jerry (2008). University of Virginia Football Vault. Atlanta, Ga.: Whitman Publishing, LLC. p. 8. ISBN 978-0-7948-2647-5.
- "Year by Year Results". Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "Washington and Lee". The Washington Post. November 26, 1905. p. 39. Retrieved August 28, 2015 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Washington & Lee Generals football media guide" (PDF). 2014. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "The Indianapolis Football Game". Indiana University Alumni Quarterly. 2: 322. 1915.
- "Washington and Lee Gives Up Football". Toledo Blade. July 24, 1954.