This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Waldemar dos Santos Alonso de Almeida Bastos|
|Born||January 4, 1954|
São Salvador do Congo, Portuguese Angola
He was born in the Portuguese Overseas Province of Angola's town of São Salvador do Congo (now M'banza-Kongo) from black parents who were both nurses. He started singing at a very early age using his father's instruments. After the independence of Angola in 1975 due to the events of the Carnation Revolution in Lisbon, at the age of 28 he fled the People's Republic of Angola for Portugal. He emigrated to Portugal in order to escape the civil war between the Marxist Popular Movement for the Liberation of Angola regime and the Western-backed National Union for Total Independence of Angola.
- Estamos Juntos (EMI Records Ltd., 1983)
- Angola Minha Namorada (EMI Portugal, 1989)
- Pitanga Madura (EMI Portugal, 1992)
- Pretaluz [blacklight] (Luaka Bop, 1997)
- Renascence (World Connection, 2004)
- Love Is Blindness (2008)
- Classics of my Soul (WB Music, 2010)
- BBC. "Angola country profile". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved April 29, 2018.