This section contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
WSO2 (Web Service Oxygen, sometimes stylized as WSO2) is an open source technology provider. It offers an integrated enterprise platform for APIs, applications, and web services—locally and across the Internet.
|Founder||Sanjiva Weerawarana; Paul Fremantle|
Number of locations
|USA (Mountain View, CA), UK (London), Brazil (São Paulo), and Sri Lanka (Colombo, Jaffna)|
|Tyler Jewell - CEO & Board Director; Sanjiva Weerawarana, - 'Founder, Chairman & Chief Architect'; Paul Fremantle - Co-Founder & CTO; James Clark - Director|
Number of employees
WSO2 was founded by Sanjiva Weerawarana and Paul Fremantle in August, 2005, and has been backed by investment from Intel Capital, Toba Capital, Pacific Controls and others. As of 2015[update], WSO2 has offices in the USA (Mountain View, CA), UK (London), Brazil (São Paulo), and Sri Lanka (Colombo), with the bulk of its research and operations being conducted from its main office in Colombo. The company rose to prominence after eBay revealed that a key element of their transaction processing software used the open source WSO2 ESB.
WSO2 products are released under the Apache License Version 2. Like the Apache project itself, WSO2 follows open development principles and airs architecture and development discussions public mailing lists. The company is noted by Gartner as being one of the leading competitors in the application infrastructure market.
WSO2 was set up by Sanjiva Weerawarana, an IBM researcher who was one of the founders of the Web services platform. Weerawarana led the creation of IBM SOAP4J, which later became Apache SOAP, and went to architect other notable projects, including Apache Axis, Apache WSIF, the IBM Web Services Gateway and IBM BPWS4J. He was joined by Paul Fremantle, one of the authors of IBM's Web Services Invocation Framework and the Web Services Gateway. Fremantle, an Apache member since the original Apache SOAP project, oversaw the donation of WSIF and WSDL4J to Apache and led IBM's involvement in the Axis C/C++ project. He became WSO2's CTO in 2008. Fremantle was subsequently named one of Infoworld's Top 25 CTOs in 2008.
WSO2's first product was code-named Tungsten, and was meant for the development of web applications. Tungsten was followed by WSO2 Titanium, which would later become WSO2 Enterprise Service Bus. In 2006, Intel Capital invested $4 million in WSO2 (Intel would continue to invest over the years). In 2010, Godel Technologies also invested in WSO2 for an unspecified amount, and in 2012 they raised a third round of $10 million. Official WSO2 records point to this being from Toba Capital, Cisco and Intel Capital. In August, 2015, a funding round led by Pacific Controls and Toba raised another $20 million.
A subsidiary, WSO2Mobile, was launched in 2013, with Harsha Purasinghe of Microimage as the CEO and co-founder. In March 2015, WSO2.Telco was launched in partnership with Malaysian telecommunications company Axiata with Axiata holding a majority stake in the venture. WSO2Mobile has since been re-absorbed into its parent company.
Historically, WSO2 has had a close connection to the Apache community, with a significant portion of their products based on or contributing to the Apache product stack. Likewise, many of WSO2's top leadership have contributed to Apache projects. In 2013, WSO2 donated its Stratos project to Apache.
WSO2 offers a platform of middleware products for integration, API management, identity and access management, smart analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT).
WSO2 Integration Cloud is a public hosted version of WSO2 Enterprise Integrator that allows enterprises to host cloud-to-cloud, cloud-to-on-premise integrations and API backends on a scalable cloud platform.
WSO2 API Manager is an API management program that allows enterprises to create, publish and manage APIs. It supports API lifecycle management, application development, access control, rate limiting and analytics in one system.
WSO2 API Cloud is a public hosted version of WSO2 API Manager.
WSO2 Identity Cloud is a public hosted version of WSO2 Identity Server.
WSO2 Stream Processor is a Streaming SQL Engine that supports Real-time Streaming Analytics.
Ballerina is a general purpose, concurrent and strongly typed programming language with both textual and graphical syntaxes, optimized for integration.
- "WSO2: Contact Us". Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Open Source Helps eBay Process $2000 Per Second - InformationWeek". InformationWeek. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- The Apache Software Foundation (January 2004). "Apache License, Version 2.0". Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- "Comparing Comprehensive Application Infrastructure Vendors, 2014". www.gartner.com. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "WSO2 Ten Years: It Takes Two to Tango! | The Source". wso2.com. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "Web Services Description Language (WSDL) 1.1" (PDF). W3C.
- "Web Services Description Language (WSDL) Version 2.0 Part 1: Core Language" (PDF). W3C. 27 February 2006.
- "Sanjiva Weerawarana's Blog: Paul becomes CTO of WSO2". sanjiva.weerawarana.org. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "The best CTOs of 2008". InfoWorld. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "WSO2: 10 years and flying high!". www.ft.lk. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "WS02 | Success Stories". www.intelcapital.com. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "GODELTECH INVESTS IN WSO2- Godel Technologies | WSO2 Inc". wso2.com. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "SEC FORM D". www.sec.gov. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "Funding Daily: A truly black Friday". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "WSO2 Attracts $10 Million in Funding Following 220% Year Over Year Growth in New Customer Adoption of WSO2's Cloud and Enterprise Middleware | WSO2 Inc". wso2.com. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "SEC FORM D". www.sec.gov. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "Open Source Cloud and Middleware Company WSO2 Attracts $20 Million in Funding Led by Pacific Controls, Global Provider of Internet of Things Managed Solutions". Yahoo Finance. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "WSO2 Launches WSO2Mobile Subsidiary to Focus on Enterprise Mobile Applications and Device Management | WSO2 Inc". wso2.com. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "WSO2, Axiata Group partner to launch open source API platform". www.ft.lk. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "Axiata to invest $2.6m in US-based WSO2 Telco Inc for 70% stake". DealStreetAsia. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "WSO2 and the Apache Way | WSO2 Inc". wso2.com. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- Avram, Abel (24 June 2013). "WSO2 Donates Stratos to the Apache Foundation". InfoQ. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Mayer, Chris (25 June 2013). "WSO2's DIY cloud Stratos welcomed into Apache Incubator". jaxenter. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- Avram, Abel (3 June 2015). "WSO2 Announces API Cloud and App Cloud". InfoQ. Retrieved 27 September 2016.