WCW/nWo Thunder is a professional wrestling video game based on the professional wrestling TV show WCW Thunder and released on the PlayStation console by THQ in 1999. Thunder is the sequel to WCW Nitro and updates the previous game with new characters and features, including cage matches, battle royals, weapon use, and the ability to select what stable each wrestler competed for (this included WCW, nWo Hollywood, nWo Wolfpac, Raven's Flock, and The Four Horsemen). However, Thunder received poor reviews. Many of these were due to its graphics, style, and overall atmosphere, which bore too many similarities to WCW Nitro, along with concerns the game was too easy.
Next Generation reviewed the PlayStation version of the game, rating it three stars out of five, and stated that "While the improvements made in Thunder aren't terribly significant, they do make it a worthy upgrade from Nitro - but they don't put Thunder at the top of the wrestling pile just yet. It's good, but WWF Warzone is still number one."
WCW/nWo Thunder received "mixed" reviews according to the review aggregation website GameRankings. Most very mixed points were given to the poor graphics, and difficulty of the controls. Despite the mediocre reviews given, the game went on to sell 1 million copies.
- "WCW/nWo Thunder for PlayStation". GameRankings. Retrieved May 15, 2015.
- Marriott, Scott Alan. "WCW/NWO Thunder - Review". AllGame. Archived from the original on November 15, 2014. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- "WCW/nWo Thunder". Electronic Gaming Monthly. 1999.
- McNamara, Andy; Anderson, Paul; Reiner, Andrew (February 1999). "WCW/NWO Thunder - PlayStation". Game Informer. No. 70. p. 38. Archived from the original on December 6, 2000. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- Hsu, Tim (February 1999). "WCW/nWo Thunder Review". Game Revolution. Archived from the original on May 18, 2015. Retrieved October 25, 2017.
- Gerstmann, Jeff (December 23, 1998). "WCW/nWo Thunder Review". GameSpot. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- Perry, Douglass C. (January 13, 1999). "WCW/NWO Thunder". IGN. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- "Finals". Next Generation. No. 52. Imagine Media. April 1999. p. 92.
- "WCW/nWo Thunder". Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine. 1999.
- "WCW/nWo Thunder". Official UK PlayStation Magazine. No. 44. Future Publishing. February 1999.
- "Review: WCW/nWo Thunder". PSM. 1999.
- IGN staff (May 15, 1999). "Breaking News! WWF Meets Toukon Retsuden". IGN. Retrieved May 15, 2015.