In 1947 he was elected to the first parliament of Ceylon, as an independent, in the Akuressa electorate, before joining the Communist Party of Ceylon. He didn't contest the subsequent 1952 parliamentary elections, allowing his brother's wife, Doreen Young, to run as the Communist Party's candidate.
- "Hon. Wickremasinghe, Wilson Punnasoma Abeywardena, M.P." Directory of Past Members. Parliament of Sri Lanka. Retrieved 16 July 2017.
- "Biography of S. A. Wickramasinghe". Daily News. Archived from the original on 21 October 2012. Retrieved 16 July 2017.
- Peebles, Patrick (2015). Historical Dictionary of Sri Lanka. Rowman and Littlefield. p. 385. ISBN 9781442255852.
- "Result of Parliamentary General Election 1947" (PDF). Department of Elections, Sri Lanka. Retrieved 16 July 2017.
- Wickramasinghe, Nira (1995). Ethnic Politics in Colonial Sri Lanka, 1927-1947. Vikas Publishing House. p. 242. ISBN 9780706987911.