The Volvo B58 was a mid-engined single-decker bus, double-decker bus, single-decker articulated bus and single-decker coach chassis[which?] manufactured by Volvo in Sweden from 1966 until early 1982. It was succeeded by the B10M.
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||Single-decker bus|
Single-decker articulated bus
|Doors||1, 2 or 3|
|Engine||9.6-litre horizontally mid-mounted I-6|
Volvo HD100, THD100
|Capacity||28 to 67 seated|
|Length||9.5m to 18.0m|
|Height||3.0m or 4.2m|
In the United Kingdom, it was sold to many major operators including Wallace Arnold and Park's of Hamilton from 1972. Many of the Volvo B58s in the UK were built as coaches. One Volvo B58 was rebodied as a double-decker bus with East Lancs Droop Nose double-decker bus body for Skills of Nottingham.
In Brazil, The Volvo B58 (named the B58E) was built in Curitiba from 1979 to 1998. It was used in city buses, including trolleybuses, and road coaches, in cities like São Paulo, Curitiba, Porto Alegre, Campinas, Sorocaba and Belo Horizonte. Also, in 1992, B58E was Brazil's first bi-articulated chassis, and the first 33 operated in Curitiba as Express Line Buses.
In Australia the B58 was popular with government operators. ACTION, placed 77 in service between 1972 and 1976, the Metropolitan Transport Trust, Tasmania 68 rigid buses and three articulated buses from September 1975, and the State Transport Authority, Adelaide 65 rigids and 35 articulateds from April 1980.
The chassis also found a market with Australian private operators. Forest Coach Lines purchased 13 between 1972 and 1984, Busways 30 between 1978 and 1981, and Grenda Corporation 18 between 1980 and 1983. All supplemented their fleets with second hand purchases.
- Commercial catalogue - Applications Letrika
- First Volvo coach handed over Commercial Motor 10 November 1972
- Low floor Volvo KOs deckers Commercial Motor 4 July 1978
- "Wellington NZ Volvo B58 Trolleybuses Withdrawn" Australian Bus January 2010 page 11
- "História anos 70 | Volvo Group". www.volvogroup.com.br (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2019-04-25.
- Volvo B58-50 ACT Bus Wiki
- Volvo B58-56 ACT Bus Wiki
- Metro Tasmania - Volvo B58 Disposal list Australian Bus Fleet Lists
- Volvo B58/PMCSA (rigid) Australian Bus Fleet Lists
- Volvo B58 / PMCSA (artic) Australian Bus Fleet Lists
- Forest Coach Lines Australian Bus Fleet Lists
- Busways Group Australian Bus Fleet Lists
- Grenda Corporation Archived 2014-01-03 at the Wayback Machine Australian Bus Fleet Lists
- Media related to Volvo B58 at Wikimedia Commons