Vladimir Petrovich Filatov (Russian: Владимир Филaтoв, 15 [O.S. 27] February 1875 in Mikhaylovka, Penza Governorate, Russian Empire – 30 October 1956 in Odessa, Ukrainian SSR) was a Russian Empire and Soviet ophthalmologist and surgeon best known for his development of tissue therapy. He introduced the tube flap grafting method, corneal transplantation and preservation of grafts from cadaver eyes. He founded the Institute of Eye Diseases & Tissue Therapy in Odessa, Soviet Union (today Ukraine). Filatov is also credited for restoring Vasily Zaytsev's sight when he suffered an injury to his eyes from a mortar attack during Battle of Stalingrad.
Vladimir Petrovich Filatov
|Died||October 30, 1956 (aged 81)|
|Education||Academician of the USSR Academy of Medical Sciences|
|Alma mater||Imperial Moscow University (1897)|
First corneal transplantation was attempted by Filatov on 28 February 1912, but the graft grew opaque. After numerous attempts over the course of many years, Filatov achieved a successful transplantation of cornea from a diseased person on 6 May 1931.
Throughout his life, Filatov made no secret of the fact that he was a faithful Orthodox Christian. The Communist Party honoured him for his medical work, but pretended not to notice his faith. A large group of official representatives from the Kremlin came for his funeral, which was to be a majestic affair, ending with the bier being burned. His widow asked that his will be read out in front of everyone. He asked for an Orthodox funeral conducted by a bishop, and he wanted to be buried, with the tomb stone proclaiming "I look for the resurrection of the dead." The Kremlin gave permission for his wishes to be fulfilled.
After Filatov's death in 1956, his apprentice Nadezhda Puchkovskaya led the Institute of Eye Diseases & Tissue Therapy in Odessa, which was renamed in honour of Filatov as The Filatov Institute of Eye Diseases & Tissue Therapy.
- Mirskiĭ, M. (Mark). Istorii︠a︡ medit︠s︡iny i khirurgii : uchebnoe posobie. Moskva. ISBN 978-5-9704-1429-3. OCLC 971612561.
- Каликинская, Екатерина (2013-06-10). "Врач Владимир Филатов. Какие открытия сделали его знаменитым". aif.ru. Retrieved 2020-12-15.
- "Филатов (1875–1956) - 100 великих врачей". www.e-reading.by. Retrieved 2020-12-15.
- Vladimir Filatov, peoples.ru
- p.121-2. The Blessed Surgeon by Archdeacon Vasiliy Marushchak. published by Divine Ascent Press. 2008
- "The Filatov Institute of Eye Diseases & Tissue Therapy official website". filatovinstitut.com.ua. Archived from the original on 2006-06-19. Retrieved 2006-07-30.
- "Filatov Research Institute of Eye Diseases and Tissue Therapy". 2odessa.com. Retrieved 2006-07-30. Photos of the institute.
- "Filatov's grave". 2odessa.com. Retrieved 2006-07-30. Photo of Filotav's grave.
- "The Filatov Institute in the Web Space". www.geocities.com (in Russian). Archived from the original on 2009-08-03. Retrieved 2006-07-30.