Vista Equity Partners
Vista Equity Partners (Vista) is an American private equity and venture capital firm focused on financing and forwarding software and technology-enabled startup businesses, as well as passive equity investments.
Number of locations
|Robert F. Smith, Founder|
Brian Sheth, Co-founder 
Number of employees
The firm was founded in 2000 by American businessman and investor Robert F. Smith and Brian Sheth. Vista Equity has offices in Austin, Texas, Chicago, Illinois, and San Francisco, California. In 2018, Vista has over $43 billion in cumulative capital commitments, owns over 50 software companies and has 65,000 employees worldwide - making it the fourth largest enterprise software company after Microsoft, Oracle, and SAP. Vista operates with around $10 billion in their 2016 VI fund.
|January 2001||Vista made an investment in BigMachines, a provider of product configuration software. Vista made additional investments in the company through 2012, and sold the company to Oracle Corporation in October 2013.|
|January 2007||Vista completed acquisition of Indus International at a value of $240 million, combining it with MDSI Mobile Data Solutions to form Ventyx, Inc., later purchased by ABB Group.|
|May 2009||Vista agreed to acquire Sumtotal Systems for about $160 million, and closed on the transaction in July 2009.|
|July 2009||Vista acquired MicroEdge, a provider of financial services software, from Advent Software for $30 million.|
|June 2012||Vista acquired Bullhorn, Inc., a provider of CRM Software for the recruitment industry, for a reported price of several hundred million dollars.|
|May 2013||Vista announced it would acquire Websense for an estimated $906 million. The transaction closed in June 2013.|
|September 2013||Vista announced a new round of funding and a bid of over $1 billion to acquire Active Network, Inc, a provider of online event registration services. Vista has since acquired Lanyon, Inc., a software company based out of Dallas, Texas, with whom they merged a portion of Active Network's Business Solutions Group (BSG).|
|May 2014||Vista Equity Partners Fund V made an equity investment in SaaS enterprise relationship management solutions software company DealerSocket|
|June 2014||Vista completed the acquisition of Autotask Corporation.|
|September 2014||Vista announced its sale of Microedge to Blackbaud, Inc. for $160 million.|
|September 2014||Vista announced that it would acquire TIBCO Software for $4.3 billion.|
|November 2017||Vista completed its acquisition of NAVEX Global, a global SaaS-based ethics and compliance software and content provider |
|June 2015||Vista acquired the assets of Student Information System from Pearson PLC (which included PowerSchool), a provider of K-12 student information systems used by 15 million students in 73 countries.|
|June 2015||Vista acquired Mediaocean, a software provider for the advertising industry.|
|September 2015||Vista announced an agreement to acquire Solera Holdings, a provider of data and software for the automotive and insurance industries, for approximately $6.5 billion. In March 2016, Vista announced its completion of this acquisition.|
|June 2016||Vista announced an agreement to acquire Marketo, a marketing automation software company, for approximately $1.79 billion. It also announced an agreement to acquire Ping Identity, a single-sign on digital security company, for an undisclosed amount.|
|September 2016||Vista announced an agreement to acquire technology company Infoblox, for approximately $1.6 billion in cash.|
|September 2016||Vista acquired Regulatory DataCorp, a provider of counterparty risk and financial regulatory compliance data and software.|
|November 2016||the company acquired event management software company Cvent for $USD1.65 billion.|
|May 2017||Vista acquired Xactly Corporation, a leading provider of cloud-based incentive solutions.|
|April 2017||Vista announced they were acquiring MarketTrack LLC, a provider of advertising, e-commerce, brand protection, and other information to retailers, brands, manufacturers, and others, from Los Angeles-based private equity investor Aurora Capital Group.|
|November 2017||Vista announced they were acquiring a majority stake in Jamf, a provider of Apple device management software based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Jamf has since acquired Orchard & Grove and Zuludesk.|
|December 2018||Vista announced they entered into a definitive agreement to acquire MINDBODY, the leadingtechnology platform for the fitness, beauty and wellness services industries, for $1.9 billion.Under the terms of the agreement, Vista will acquire all outstanding shares of MINDBODY common stock and MINDBODY shareholders will receive $36.50 in cash per share, representing a 68% premium to the unaffected closing price as of December 21, 2018.|
|November 2018||Vista announced the acquisition of Apptio for $1.94 billion, paying $38 per share. Apptio develops cloud-based business management software.|
Vista took a majority share in Wrike, a project management software company.
|February 2019||Vista announced a strategic partnership with Four Winds Interactive, a provider for enterprise-grade visual communications.|
|April 2019||Vista added Perform to its portfolio.|
|May 2019||Vista announced the acquisition of Black Mountain Systems, LLC a provider in workflow automation software solutions for credit investors and alternative asset managers.|
Public equity investmentsEdit
Vista occasionally makes passive, public equity investments, in addition to investments in debt securities through its Vista Credit Opportunities platform.
In September 2017 Vista pledged one million dollars to assist the Akshaya Patra Foundation to deliver meals to Indian school children. Smith announced in May 2019 his family would erase all college debts held by 2019 Morehouse graduates, a sum likely to exceed $40 million.
- Weisman, Aly (July 28, 2015). "A tech titan married a Playboy model in a wildly lavish wedding ceremony". Business Insider UK. So who exactly is the couple behind the lavish wedding weekend. Retrieved August 7, 2018.
- "Company Overview of Vista Equity Partners". Bloomberg. Retrieved September 28, 2016.
- [dead link]
- Davis, Scott (January 25, 2017). "Blackhawk Network Holdings, Inc. (HAWK) Shares Bought by Vista Equity Partners Management LLC". WKRB News. Retrieved March 14, 2017.
- "Vista Equity Partners". Crunchbase. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Vista Equity: The Biggest Software Group You've Never Heard Of". PCMAG. Retrieved November 18, 2018.
- Dawn Lim (March 16, 2016). "Vista Equity Sets $10 Billion Upper Limit For New Fund". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- Novet, Jordan (September 20, 2018). "Adobe confirms it's buying Marketo for $4.75 billion". Cnbc.com. Retrieved November 19, 2018.
- Melanie Austria Farmer (March 19, 2001). "BigMachines reels in $29 million". news.cnet.com. Retrieved October 31, 2013.
- "BigMachines Secures Additional Growth Investment". Press release. BigMachines, Inc. September 17, 2013. Retrieved October 31, 2013.
- "Oracle and BigMachines". Oracle.com. Retrieved October 31, 2013.
- Julie Bort (October 23, 2013). "Source: Oracle Paid Over $400 Million For BigMachines To Grab More Salesforce Customers". Business Insider. Retrieved October 31, 2013.
- "Private Equity Portfolio Ventyx". Retrieved December 12, 2017.
- "Indus and MDSI to Combine in a Private Equity Transaction Sponsored by Vista Equity Partners". BusinessWire. Retrieved December 12, 2017.
- "SumTotal Chooses Rival Bid From Vista". The New York Times. May 27, 2009. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Deregistration of Securities". Sec.gov. July 24, 2009. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "US private equity firm Vista Equity Partners pays $30m for finance-related software business MicroEdge". AltAssets.net. July 30, 2009. Retrieved November 11, 2013.
- "Advent Software Enters Into Definitive Agreement for Sale of MicroEdge Subsidiary to Vista Equity Partners". Boston.com. July 28, 2009. Retrieved November 11, 2013.
- Ingrid Lunden (June 14, 2013). "Software Recruitment Giant Bullhorn Acquired By Vista Equity Partners For A Price In The Lower Nine Figures". Tech Crunch. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- Kyle Alspach (June 14, 2013). "Bullhorn acquired by private equity firm for 9 figures; IPO still a goal". Boston Business Journal. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- Jolie O'Dell (May 20, 2013). "Websense, publicly traded since 2000, goes private in $906M buyout". Venture Beat. Retrieved October 31, 2013.
- Steven E.F. Brown (June 25, 2013). "Vista Equity Partners wraps up acquisition of Websense". San Francisco Business Times. Retrieved October 31, 2013.
- Sharon Terlep and Dana Cimilluca (May 20, 2013). "Vista Equity Partners to Buy Websense". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved October 31, 2013.
- Sonja Cheung (September 23, 2013). "Vista Raising Plethora of New Funds". LBO Wire. Retrieved October 31, 2013.
- Hillary Canada (May 20, 2013). "Vista Equity Strikes Another $1 Billion Take-Private Deal". Money Beat. Wall Street Journal. Retrieved October 31, 2013.
- "Vista Equity Partners to acquire Active Network". San Francisco Chronicle. September 30, 2013. Retrieved October 31, 2013.
- "Active Network Business Solutions Merges with Lanyon". Meetings-conventions.com. February 21, 2014. Retrieved July 5, 2015.
- "SaaS enterprise relationship management solutions for retail and independent automotive industries". Vista Equity Partners. Retrieved May 20, 2019.
- "A year removed from $99 million acquisition, Autotask growing locally". Times Union. 2015. Retrieved March 25, 2018.
- "Autotask To Be Acquired By Private Equity Firm". Silicon. 2014. Retrieved March 25, 2018.
- "MicroEdge Enters into Agreement of Sale with Blackbaud, Inc". Microedge. September 2, 2014.
- Vista Equity to buy TIBCO Software for $4.3 billion. Reuters, 29 September 2014
- "Secrets of NAVEX Global sale emerging -- it was among the biggest deals for an Oregon company in a decade". Oregonlive.com.
- Tan, Gillian (October 15, 2014). "Vista Equity Partners Emerges From Private-Equity Shadows" – via www.wsj.com.
- "Term Sheet -- Wednesday, October 15". Fortune.com.
- "Pearson to sell PowerSchool to Vista Equity Partners". Pearson.com. June 17, 2015. Retrieved June 23, 2015.
- Tan, Gillian (June 29, 2015). "Mediaocean to Sell Stake to Vista Equity Partners". Wsj.com.
- Lance Murray (September 14, 2015). "Vista Equity Partners to acquire Solera Holdings in $6.5B deal". Dallas Business Journal. Retrieved September 14, 2015.
- "Marketo Enters into Definitive Agreement to be Acquired by Vista Equity Partners for $1.79 Billion". Marketo.com. June 1, 2016. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- "Vista Equity Partners to Acquire Ping Identity". Pingidentity.com. Retrieved September 21, 2017.
- "Hedge Funds Starboard Value And Hound Partners Score In Vista Equity's Infoblox Buyout". Forbes.com. September 19, 2016. Retrieved September 19, 2016.
- "Infoblox Announces Agreement To Be Acquired By Vista Equity Partners For $26.50 Per Share In Cash". Infoblox.com. September 19, 2016. Retrieved January 13, 2017.
- "Vista Equity Partners to acquire RDC". Press release. Yahoo Finance. September 6, 2016. Retrieved September 29, 2016.
- "After months of government scrutiny, $1.65B Cvent acquisition is finalized". washingtonpost.com. November 29, 2016. Retrieved June 26, 2017.
- "Xactly Enters Into Definitive Agreement to be Acquired by Vista Equity Partners". Investors.xactlycorp.com. Retrieved June 5, 2017.
- "Aurora Capital Group Sells Market Track To Vista Equity". Socaltech.com. April 17, 2017. Retrieved June 27, 2017.
- "Vista Equity buys controlling stake in Mpls. tech firm Jamf". StarTribune.com. December 17, 2017. Retrieved July 11, 2019.
- "Jamf acquires ZuluDesk, an Apple education tech solution". appleworld.today. February 5, 2019. Retrieved July 11, 2019.
- "MINDBODY Enters into Definitive Agreement to be Acquired by Vista Equity Partners for $1.9 Billion". Mindbodyonline.com. December 24, 2018. Retrieved December 28, 2018.
- Cooper, Laura (November 11, 2018). "Vista Reaches Deal to Buy Software Firm Apptio for $1.94 Billion". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved January 8, 2019.
- Interactive, Four Winds (February 5, 2019). "Four Winds Interactive Announces Strategic Partnership with Vista Equity Partners". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved July 17, 2019.
- "Black Mountain Systems Announces Acquisition by Vista Equity Partners". businesswire.com. May 29, 2019. Retrieved July 11, 2019.
- "Vista Equity Partners Companies pledge $1 Million USD to The Akshaya Patra Foundation to deliver millions of meals to Indian school children". Akshayapatra.org. September 26, 2017. Retrieved August 8, 2018.
- Bo Emerson, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "Morehouse commencement speaker to pay off Class of 2019's student loans". Ajc.com. Retrieved May 20, 2019.