Virginia National Guard
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Virginia National Guard consists of the Virginia Army National Guard and the Virginia Air National Guard. It is part of the Government of Virginia though the National Guard across the United States is mostly funded by federal monies. The National Guard is the only United States military force empowered to function in a state status. Those functions range from limited actions during non-emergency situations to full scale law enforcement of martial law when local law enforcement officials can no longer maintain civil control. The National Guard may be called into federal service in response to a call by the President or Congress, in accordance with Title 10 of the United States Code.
|Virginia National Guard|
|Branch|| United States Army|
United States Air Force
|Part of||National Guard Bureau|
Virginia Department of Military Affairs
|Headquarters||Fort Pickett, Va|
|Motto(s)||The Commonwealth's Guardians|
|Governor and Commander in Chief||Ralph Northam|
|Adjutant General||Timothy P. Williams|
Many states also maintain their own military forces. These forces are federally recognized, but are separate from the United States National Guard Bureau and are not meant to be federalized, but rather service the state exclusively, especially when the National Guard is deployed and unavailable. The Virginia Defense Force is the commonwealth's own all-volunteer, formal military organization that is the reserve to the Virginia National Guard.
- "NATIONAL GUARD". Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "Virginia Defense Force". Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "Virginia National Guard ~ State Partnership Program". Archived from the original on 16 December 2014. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- Reports, Staff. "Governor McAuliffe announces appointment of Col. Tim Williams as new Adjutant General of Virginia". Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "Virginia National Guard ~ Senior Leaders". Archived from the original on 28 January 2015. Retrieved 22 March 2017.