|Date of birth||27 September 1954|
|Place of birth||Termini Imerese, Italy|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Chiarenza started his professional playing career in 1973–74 with Sampdoria in the Italian Serie A, then playing mostly at Serie B level with Brindisi, Avellino, Bari, Taranto, Triestina, Atalanta and Lazio. He successively played for Serie C2 teams Legnano and Novara before to retire from active football.
Throughout his career, Chiarenza made a total 43 appearances in the Italian Serie A, also scoring a goal.
Chiarenza spent the majority of his coaching career working in the Juventus youth system. In 2003, he succeeded long-serving youth coach Gian Piero Gasperini. He is credited with masterminding the Primavera squad's most successful period in the 2000s and bringing through players such as Antonio Mirante, Raffaele Palladino, Domenico Criscito, Sebastian Giovinco and current first team players Paolo De Ceglie and Claudio Marchisio, all of whom have made the first team at some point. All have been Italian youth internationals and Marchisio, Criscito and Giovinco have broken into the senior team. Under him, the Primavera squad won all competitions in the age group, including the 2005–06 Campionato Nazionale Primavera, the 2006–07 Coppa Italia Primavera, two consecutive Supercoppa Primavera in 2006 and 2007 and winning the 2004-05 Torneo di Viareggio and reaching the final the following year. The Primavera have yet to win the championship since his departure.
In October 2008 he was appointed to his first senior managing role, replacing Nello Di Costanzo as head coach of Serie B club Ascoli. He was however fired only less than two months later due to disagreement with the club President.
- "Ascoli: il nuovo mister e' Vincenzo Chiarenza" (in Italian). ESPN Soccernet Italia. 2008-10-22. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- "Ascoli, Chiarenza è il nuovo allenatore" (in Italian). Tuttosport. 2008-10-22. Archived from the original on 2012-02-14. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- "Juve giovanile, la fabbrica dei campioni" (in Italian). La Repubblica. 16 February 2010.
- "Non solo Giovinco, la Juve si fa giovane" (in Italian). La Stampa. 30 April 2008.
- "Chiarenza: "Marchisio, Criscito e C.Vi raccanto i miei gioielli"" (in Italian). juvemania.it. 14 February 2010.
- "Chiarenza nuovo tecnico bianconero" (in Italian). Ascoli Calcio 1898. 2008-10-22. Retrieved 2008-10-23.
- "Comunicato Stampa" (in Italian). Ascoli Calcio 1898. 2008-12-07. Retrieved 2008-12-07.