Victor Allen Bolden
Victor Allen Bolden (born May 6, 1965) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut and former Corporation Counsel for the City of New Haven, Connecticut.
Victor Allen Bolden
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut|
|Assumed office |
November 21, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Janet Bond Arterton|
|Born||May 6, 1965|
New York City, New York
|Political party||Democratic Party|
|Education||Columbia University (A.B.)|
Harvard Law School (J.D.)
Bolden received an Artium Baccalaureus degree in 1986 from Columbia University. He received a Juris Doctor in 1989 from Harvard Law School. He began his legal career as a Marvin Karpatkin Fellow, from 1989 to 1990, and then as a staff attorney at the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation, from 1990 to 1994. He served as Assistant Counsel at the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, from 1994 to 2000. From 2000 to 2005, he worked at the law firm of Wiggin & Dana, where he handled a wide variety of commercial litigation matters. From 2005 to 2009, he returned to the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund as General Counsel. From 2009 to 2014, he served as Corporation Counsel for the City of New Haven, Connecticut.
Federal judicial serviceEdit
On June 16, 2014, President Obama nominated Bolden to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut, to the seat vacated by Judge Janet Bond Arterton, who took senior status on July 1, 2014. On July 29, 2014 a hearing before the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary was held on his nomination. On September 18, 2014 his nomination was reported out of committee by vote of 10–8. On November 18, 2014 Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid filed for cloture on his nomination. On Wednesday November 19, 2014 cloture was invoked by a vote of 51–44. On Thursday, November 20, 2014 the United States Senate voted 49–46 to confirm Bolden. He received his judicial commission on November 21, 2014.
- "President Obama Announces Intent to Nominate Five to Serve on the United States District Courts". whitehouse.gov. 13 June 2014 – via National Archives.
- "Bolden, Victor Allen – Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate". whitehouse.gov. 16 June 2014 – via National Archives.
- "United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary". www.judiciary.senate.gov.
- "Results of Executive Business Meeting – September 18, 2014 United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary" (PDF).
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress – 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 287. United States Senate. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress – 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 290. United States Senate. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- Victor Allen Bolden at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Victor Allen Bolden at Ballotpedia
Janet Bond Arterton
| Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut