Joseph van Vicker (born 1 August 1977), better known as Van Vicker, is a Ghanaian actor,movie director and humanitarian.He is the CEO of Sky + Orange production,a film production house.Van Vicker received two nominations for "Best Actor in a Leading Role" and "Best Upcoming Actor" at the Africa Movie Academy Awards in 2008.
Joseph van Vicker
Joseph van Vicker
1 August 1977
|Occupation||Film, television actor|
Vicker was born in Accra, Ghana on to a Ghanaian/ Liberian mother and a Dutch father. His father died when he was six years old. He has often cited in interviews that he considers himself a global citizen as he was raised all over the world by his mother. Due to the early death of his father Vicker has stated that he is very close to his mother and considers her his hero.
Vicker started out in the entertainment world in radio as a presenter at Groove 106.3 fm (1999–2000) and Vibe 91.9fm (2001–2004) and as a television personality for TV3 Ghana (1997–1999) & Metro TV (2000–2004), Vicker appeared in the Ghanaian television series Sun city, which depicted university life. He played the character of LeRoy King Jr., a Fine Arts student born in the U.S. who arrives at Sun city to complete his education. The series ran for a total of 10 episodes.
Soon, Vicker was cast in his first film Divine Love as a supporting character. This film coincidentally, was also the debut roles for fellow actors Jackie Appiah and Majid Michel who were cast in the female and male lead respectively.
Vicker has appeared in numerous Nollywood films alongside prominent Nollywood actors, including Tonto Dikeh, Mercy Johnson, Stephanie Okereke, Chika Ike and Jim Iyke. His Nollywood movies include; My Soul Mate, Heart of Fire, Popular King, Gambling with Marriage, Harvest of Love, Stolen Will, The Joy of a Prince, Discovered, The Kingdom and Against the law.
Vicker has directed, starred in, and produced five films under his Sky + Orange Productions since 2008. 2012 was the biggest year for his production house, earning him the NAFCA Best Actor and Director Awards for his comedy movie, Joni Waka.
Vicker has been nominated for and won numerous awards from Africa to the Caribbean. Awards include Ghana Movie Awards, ACRAG awards and the Nollywood Academy Films Critics’ Awards. In 2009, he won the Best African Caribbean Actor and Best Actor African American and in 2011, he won the Pan African creative actor. In 2013, he won the Best International Actor award at the Papyrus Magazine Screen Actors Awards (PAMSAA) 2013, which was held in Abuja, Nigeria.
Personal life and other projectsEdit
Van Vicker is married to Adjoa Vicker.The two wed in 2003 and have two children together. Van Vicker has been linked to several ladies with mental conditions claiming to be his wife. However, he simply laughs at the numerous stories and celebrates his wife Adjoa. . He is the CEO of Sky + Orange Productions, a film production house. Van Vicker Training facility is the latest entrepreneurship venture of Vicker, where students are trained in the field in acting by professionals. The Van Vicker Foundation is an outreach program for the youth.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2008||4th Africa Movie Academy Awards||Best Actor in a Leading Role||The Return of Beyonce/Princess Tyra||Nominated|
|Best Upcoming Actor||Nominated|
|2009||Afro-Hollywood Award||Best Actor (African film category)||Won|
|2010||2010 Ghana Movie Awards||Best Actor Leading Role (Local Film)||Dna Test||Nominated|
|2011||2011 Ghana Movie Awards||Best Actor Leading Role||Paparazzi||Nominated|
|2011||Pan African Film Festival||Africa Channel's Creative Achievement Award||Himself||Won|
|2012||Nafca||Best Comedy Movie||Joni Waka||Won|
|2013||2013 Ghana Movie Awards||Best Actor (Local Film)||Joni Waka||Won|
|Pyprus Magazine Screen Actors Awards||Best International Actor||Won|
|2014||2014 Ghana Movie Awards||Favourite Actor||Nominated|
|2015||Nafca||Best Actor in a Leading role (Diaspora film)||Heart Breaker’s Revenge||Nominated|
|2016||2016 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards||Best Actor Drama/Series||A long Night||Nominated|
|2016 Nigeria Entertainment Awards||Best Actor Africa/Non Nigerian||Nominated|
|KumaWood Awards||Best Collaboration||Broni W'awu||Won|
|2004||Divine Love||with Majid Michel & Jackie Aygemang|
|2006||Beyonce: The President's Daughter||Raj||with Nadia Buari & Jackie Aygemang|
|Darkness of Sorrow||CK (Charles)||with Nadia Buari|
|Mummy's Daughter||with Nadia Buari & Jackie Aygemang & Okediji Alexandra|
|The Return of Beyonce||Raj||with Nadia Buari & Jackie Aygemang|
|2007||American Boy||"Nelly"||with Nadia Buari|
|I Hate Women||Rocky||with Jackie Aygemang|
|In the Eyes of My Husband||Leo||with Nadia Buari|
|Princess Tyra||Kay||with Jackie Aygemang, Yvonne Nelson|
|Royal Battle||Lawrence||with Majid Michel & Jackie Aygemang|
|Slave to Lust||with Nadia Buari, Ini Edo, Mike Ezuruonye & Olu Jacobs|
|Wedlock of the Gods|
|2008||Broken Tears||Ben||with Genevieve Nnaji & Kate Henshaw-Nuttal|
|Jealous Princess||Sam||with Chika Ike & Oge Okoye|
|River of Tears||Ben||with Genevieve Nnaji & Kate Henshaw-Nuttal|
|Total Love||Nick||with Jackie Aygemang|
|2009||Twilight Sisters||Micky||with Oge Okoye|
|Royal War||Uzodimma||with Ini Edo, Rachael Okonkwo|
|2010||Kingdom in Flames|
|2011||Paparazzi Eye In The Dark||Rich|
|2013||One Night In Vegas||Tony||with Jimmy Jean-Louis, Michael Blackson, Sarodj Bertin|
|2014||The Heart Breaker’s Revenge||Dalyboy||with Dalyboy Belgason, Brittany Mayti, Sarodj Bertin|
|2016||Skinned||Robert/ Bobby||with LisaRaye McCoy, Jasmine Burke|
|2017||Cop's Enemy||Christopher "Shadow" Ifechi|
|Pending||Day After Death||with Wema Sepetu|
- "birthday". Retrieved 25 July 2020.
- "Africa Movie Academy Awards' nominees take a bow in Josies". Archived from the original on 8 February 2010. Retrieved 23 October 2009.
- "AMAA Nominees and Winners 2008". Africa Movie Academy Award. Archived from the original on 5 April 2011. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- Olatunji, Samuel (21 January 2010). "My life, my story, my wife— Van Vicker". The Daily Sun. Lagos, Nigeria. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- "Van's Biography". www.vanvicker.com. Archived from the original on 28 March 2009. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- "Van Vicker (the well-known African actor) in Boston". Massachusetts, USA: BELMIZIK-FM. 6 May 2009. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- "Van Vicker". .ghanacelebrities.com. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Van Vicker - Exploits of a Ghanaian in Nollywood". AllAfrica.com. AllAfrica Global Media. 15 January 2010. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- ""If I Was Here There Would Be No Majid"…. Van Vicker". ghanaweb.com. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Van Vicker Wins NAFCA Best Comedy Award". Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Van Vicker stays Winning!". Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Van Vicker wins Best International Actor at PAMSAA 2013". Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- Danyels, Kwasy. "Happy Anniversary: Van Vicker lauds his wife on 14th Wedding Anniversary". Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- Akande, Victor (15 November 2010). "London agog for Afro Hollywood Award 2009". The Nation. Lagos, Nigeria. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- "Van Vicker To Receive Creative Award At The 20th Annual Pan African Film Festival", News Ghana, 1 February 2012.
- "Nadia Buari & Van Vicker Bag Best Actress and Actor at 2012 Ghana Movie Awards". twimovies. Retrieved 30 August 2015.
- "Van Vicker". Van Vicker. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
- "Movies". Van Vicker. Retrieved 23 April 2016.