Vail Health Hospital is a regional hospital in Vail, Colorado, in Eagle County. Originally established as a small clinic in 1965, the hospital now has 56 beds. The hospital is a Level III trauma center.
|Vail Health Hospital|
|Location||180 South Frontage Road West |
Vail, Colorado 81657, Eagle County, Colorado, United States
|Coordinates||39°38′36″N 106°22′57″W / 39.64333°N 106.38250°WCoordinates: 39°38′36″N 106°22′57″W / 39.64333°N 106.38250°W|
|Emergency department||Level III trauma center|
|Lists||Hospitals in Colorado|
Vail Health Hospital began as Vail Clinic in 1965 and was staffed by just one doctor, Dr. Tom Steinberg. The first hospital building was constructed in 1967, and it was expanded in 1979. In 1980, the clinic changed its name to Vail Valley Medical Center. By this year, it had 25 full-time doctors on its staff. Major expansions took place in 1987, 1989, and 2001, when Vail Health's Shaw Regional Cancer Center opened. In 2017, Vail Valley Medical Center changed its name to Vail Health, its current name.
In December 2020, the hospital opened a new, $194 million wing, the East Wing. The 350,000-square-foot (33,000-square-meter) wing brings the hospital campus's total floor space to 520,000 square feet (48,000 square meters). The new wing features a helipad on the roof, with an elevator that brings patients directly to the emergency department.
The umbrella organization behind Vail Health Hospital is Vail Health, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization governed by a board of directors. Vail Health also operates satellite clinics in Eagle and Summit counties. The clinics are located in Avon, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Dillon, Eagle, Edwards, Frisco, Gypsum, Leadville, and Silverthorne.
- ^ "Vail Valley Medical Center". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey, United States Department of the Interior. Retrieved 11 March 2021.
- ^ a b "Vail Health". Vail Health. 2021. Retrieved 2021-03-11.
- ^ "Vail Health Hospital". American Hospital Directory. 2021. Retrieved 2021-03-11.
- ^ "History". Vail Health. 2021. Retrieved 2021-03-11.
- ^ LaConte, John (2020-11-30). "Vail Health's new east wing opens Tuesday". Vail Daily. Retrieved 2021-03-11.
- ^ "Leadership and Board". Vail Health. 2021. Retrieved 2021-03-11.