The University High School, (Spanish: Escuela Secundaria de la Universidad de Puerto Rico) commonly referred to by its initials "UHS", in San Juan, Puerto Rico is a college preparatory laboratory high school operated by the Faculty of Education of the University of Puerto Rico. Located on the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus, it provides education to approximately 514 students from 7th to 12th grade.
|University High School|
|Number of students||514|
Its main building is a century-old art deco building located on Gándara Avenue and includes a three-story classroom annex designed in the 1970s by architect George McClintock, along with a roofed basketball court pavilion and school lunch cafeteria building (also designed by McClintock in the 1970s) shared with the UPR Elementary School.
UHS's faculty is composed of University of Puerto Rico professors. Students who have fulfilled their general education requirements are allowed to take college-level courses at UPR's Río Piedras campus and all students are allowed to use the José M. Lázaro general library and other campus facilities. UHS students have breakfast and lunch at the Lunchroom belonging to the University Elementary School, located next to the UHS.
UHS has a student council alongside several organized clubs such as a Spanish Oratory club, a Model United Nations club, an English Forensics League Club, a National Honors Society chapter, among others.
UHS has several sports teams, including a soccer team, a volleyball team, swimming team and a basketball team.
2017 University of Puerto Rico strikesEdit
- Justino Diaz, operatic bass-baritone.
- Carmen Yulín Cruz, former senator and former mayor of San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Alexandra Lúgaro, independent gubernatorial candidate
- Rafael Quintero, diver.
- Hector Luis Acevedo, former mayor of San Juan and gubernatorial candidate
- José Andreu García, former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Puerto Rico
- Julia de Burgos, Puerto Rican poet
- Severo Colberg Toro, senator
- Alex Cora, former MLB player, current manager of the Boston Red Sox
- Juan Manuel García Passalacqua, late political analyst
- Velda González, former Senate Vice President, actress
- Miguel Hernandez Agosto, former senator and president of the senate
- Julio Kaplan, 1967 P.R. National Chess Champion, computer scientist, founder CEO Heuristic Software
- Kenneth McClintock, Former PR Secretary of State and Senate President
- Victoria Muñoz Mendoza, former senator and gubernatorial candidate
- Marco A. Rigau, former senator
- José M. Saldaña, Puerto Rican academic and former UPR President
- Roberto Sánchez Ramos, former PR Attorney General
- Marcos Zurinaga, film director
- "UHS en Río Piedras vota en contra de la huelga". Metro Puerto Rico. Metro Puerto Rico. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- Escuela Secundaria de la Universidad de Puerto Rico (in Spanish)
- University High School on Twitter
- University High School on Facebook