United States Olympic Trials (swimming)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The United States Olympic Team Trials in Swimming are held before every Summer Olympic Games to select the participants for the US Olympic Swimming Team. The event is overseen by the United States Olympic Committee and run/operated by USA Swimming.
The first Olympic Trials was held in 1920 in Alameda, California to select swimmers for the 1920 Summer Olympics in Antwerp, Belgium. The men's and women's trials have been held separately six times.
|1920||Alameda, California (Western)
Manhattan Beach, New York (women's final)
Chicago, Illinois (men's final)
|western: June 26–27
final (women): July 10
final (men): July 10–11
|1928||Iowa City, Iowa (Midwestern tryouts)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (NCAA tryouts)
Detroit, Michigan (men's Final tryouts)
Rockaway Playland Pool (women's Final tryouts)
|Midwest: February 10–11
NCAA: March 30–31
|1932||Cincinnati, Ohio (men's)
Long Island, New York (women's)
|men: July 13–16
women: July 15–16
|1936||Providence, Rhode Island (men's)
Astoria, New York (women's)
|men: July 10–12
women: July 11–12
|1948||Detroit, Michigan||July 8–11|
|1952||Astoria Park, Astoria, New York (men's)
Indianapolis, Indiana (women's)
|1956||Detroit, Michigan||August 7–10|
|1960||Detroit, Michigan||August 2–5|
|1964||Astoria, New York||August 29–September 3|
|1968||Long Beach, California (men's)
Los Angeles, California (women's)
|men: August 30–September 3
women: August 24–28
|1972||Portage Park, Chicago, Illinois||August 2–6|
|1976||Long Beach, California||June 16–21|
|1980||Irvine, California||July 29–August 2||Olympic Trials cancelled due to the 1980 Summer Olympics boycott |
Event rescheduled for after the actual Olympic competition
|1984||Indianapolis, Indiana||June 25–30|
|1988||Austin, Texas||August 8–13|
|1992||Indianapolis, Indiana||March 1–7||US Spring Nationals|
|1996||Indianapolis, Indiana||March 6–12|
|2000||Indianapolis, Indiana||August 9–16|
|2004||Long Beach, California||July 7–14|
|2008||Omaha, Nebraska||June 29–July 6||winners considered national champions|
|2012||Omaha, Nebraska||June 25–July 2|
|2016||Omaha, Nebraska||June 26–July 3|
|2020||Omaha, Nebraska||June 13–20, 2021||Rescheduled from June 21–28, 2020|
Postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic
- Previous Dates & Sites of Major U.S. Swimming Meets 1920-Present, USA Swimming, retrieved 2009-11-25
- Past Trials Results page from the USA Swimming website (www.usaswimming.org); retrieved 2012-07-05.
- U.S. Olympic Trials: Great Races in U.S. Trials History; Tracy Caulkins, Terri Baxter Deadheat 1980 200 Breast
- Olympics: Barcelona Profile; Hardly a New Wave For U.S. Swim Team, by Filip Bondy, New York Times, 1992-06-22; retrieved 2009-06-18.
- Results from the 1996 US Swimming Olympic Trials; published 2004-02-25, retrieved 2012-07-05.
- Results from the 2000 US Swimming Olympic Trials; retrieved 2012-07-05.
- U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Swimming Will Return to Omaha in 2012, Karen Linhart, USA Swimming, June 25, 2009; retrieved 2009-11-25
- "2016 Olympic Trials Tickets on sale Now". Retrieved December 11, 2015.
- "U.S. Olympic Swimming Trials set new dates in 2021 in Omaha". NBC Sports. April 10, 2020. Retrieved April 11, 2020.