United Nations Security Council Resolution 1958
United Nations Security Council Resolution 1958, adopted on December 15, 2010, after recalling resolutions 986 (1995), 1472 (2003), 1476 (2003), 1483 (2003) and 1546 (2004) on the situation in Iraq, the Council terminated the residual activities of the Oil-for-Food Programme.
|UN Security Council|
|Date||15 December 2010|
|Subject||The situation concerning Iraq|
|Security Council composition|
Resolution 1958, along with resolutions 1956 (2010) and 1957 (2010), ended some major restrictions placed on Iraq. However, demands that Iraq resolve disputes with Kuwait remained. The high-level meeting was chaired by United States Vice President Joe Biden.
The Council began by recalling the need for the Oil-for-Food Programme as a temporary measure to provide humanitarian aid to the Iraqi people and the need for the country to regain an international standing to the level of that prior to the adoption of Resolution 661 (1990).
Acting under Chapter VII of the United Nations Charter, the Council requested the Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to terminate the residual activities of the Oil-for-Food Programme. He was authorised to establish an escrow account with independent public accountants, in which US$20 million would be retained for the use of United Nations until December 31, 2016, and a further US$131 million retained as compensation for the United Nations with regard to activities in connection with the Programme since its inception in 1995. All remaining funds in the account created by Resolution 1483 were to be transferred to the Development Fund for Iraq.
The resolution further requested the Secretary-General to ensure the effective implementation of the resolution and report to the Council.
- "Security Council takes action to end Iraq sanctions, terminate Oil-for-Food Programme as members recognise 'major changes' since 1990". United Nations. December 15, 2010.
- MacFarquhar, Neil (December 15, 2010). "Security Council Removes Restrictions on Iraq". The New York Times.
- "UN lifts sanctions against Iraq". BBC News. December 15, 2010.
- Witcher, Tim (December 15, 2010). "Security Council ends Saddam-era Iraq sanctions". Agence France-Presse.
- Works related to United Nations Security Council Resolution 1958 at Wikisource
- Text of the Resolution at undocs.org
- Fact Sheet on United Nations Security Council High-Level Meeting, White House.