Unifor is a general trade union in Canada and the largest private sector union in Canada. It was founded in 2013 as a merger of the Canadian Auto Workers and Communications, Energy and Paperworkers unions, and consists of 310,000 workers and associate members in industries ranging from manufacturing and media to forestry and fishing. In January 2018, the union left the Canadian Labour Congress, Canada's national trade union centre, to become independent.
|Affiliation||IMF, ITF, IFJ|
|Key people||Jerry Dias (President)|
|Office location||205 Placer Court, Toronto, Ontario|
This section's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded||May 12, 1961|
|Members||7242 (Sept. 2008)|
|Office location||23 Regan Road, Brampton, Ontario, Canada, L7A-1B2, 905.451.8310|
Unifor Local 1285 (formerly Canadian Auto Workers Local 1285) is an amalgamated local representing automotive workers in Brampton, Ontario, Canada. It is the largest private sector union local in Brampton.
In February 2019, Unifor purchased time on the Canadian broadcast of Super Bowl LIII to broadcast a commercial protesting General Motors' decision to close the Oshawa Car Assembly plant. On the Friday before the game, Unifor received a letter from GM Canada demanding that the commercial, and an online advert boycotting Mexican-manufactured GM vehicles, be pulled, alleging they were "designed intentionally and maliciously to mislead Canadian consumers and forever tarnish GM's reputation with them". In defiance of the demands, the ad aired as scheduled, and Unifor intends to air the ad during other major events.
- "'Unifor' will be name of new super union that combines CAW and CEP". Toronto Star. May 30, 2013. Retrieved May 30, 2013.
- "Unifor breaks with Canadian Labour Congress". CBC. Canadian Press. January 17, 2018. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- He politically supports the liberal party of Canada and is a vocal proponent of Justin Trudeau and a staunch critic of opposition leader Andrew sheer "New super-union Unifor’s first president vows to start pushing back if governments, employers don’t heed.". Toronto Star, August 31, 2013.
- "GM trying to 'intimidate' union from airing Super Bowl ad, Unifor says". CBC News. Retrieved 2019-02-03.
- "Unifor airs Super Bowl ad despite GM's cease and desist letter". CBC News. Retrieved 2019-02-07.