This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Elevation||14 m (46 ft)|
|• Official||Gujarati, Hindi, Sindhi, Punjabi Urdu|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Vehicle registration||GJ 32|
Una is located on the bank of Machchundri river. It has an average elevation of 14 metres (46 feet). Kodinar is located on the west, Diu is on the south. Una has the highest number of villages of all the Talukas in Gujarat state.
As per 2011 India census, Una had a population of 58,528. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. In Una, 14% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Una has an average literacy rate of 67%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: Male literacy is 74%, and Female literacy is 59%.
Una is the biggest taluka in Gir Somnath District in number of villages.
Some villages are:
- Nathal, Amodra, Khapat, Chachakvad, Delwada, Nathej, Vyajpur, Rameshvar, Sultanpur, Gangada, Samter, Garaal, Motha, Sanakhada, Sanjvapar, Simar, Navabandar, Kajrad, Bhacha, Umej, Gundala, Kesariya, Kob, Tad, Paldi, Olwan, Vansoj, Untwada, Varsingpur, Simasi, Kansari, Kalapan, Gangada, Khatriwada, Anjar etc. Since the town is a purchase hub of so many surrounding villages, it has variety of things available which other towns may not.
Una is situated on the national highway No. 8 E. This highway connects Bhavnagar with Veraval.
The city is well connected to other major cities of Gujarat such as Ahmedabad, Vadodara, Surat, Rajkot, Jamnagar, Junagadh and Bhavnagar etc. and Mumbai by bus services operated by state-owned transport corporations and private services. Daily bus services available for Mumbai by state-owned transport corporations and private bus operators. Good transportation service is available for Diu, as it is one of the famous and popular tourist place. Diu is the nearest city having air transportation. Diu is 15 km far away from Una.
- Tribhovandas Parekh Tower.
- Pauranik Talav (Ancient Lake) is in the heart of Una
- Rawal Dam is also a nice place to visit in rainy season
- Machundari Dam is also a nice place to visit in rainy season
- Droneshwar is also a nice place to visit in rainy season
- Jamjir Waterfall at Jamvala (Gir) is very wonderful place to visit
- Diu is also a near place to visit
- Ahmedpur Mandvi Beach it is also a near place to visit
- Gir National Park Home of Asiatic lions is a wildlife sanctuary near Una
- Tulshishyam is a religious place with hot springs which is 29 km away from Una
- Ramvijay Hanuman Temple
- Mahakaleshwar Mahadev Temple
- Saniswar Mahadev Temple
- Modeshwar Mahadev Temple
- Kankeshwari Mata Temple
- Jalarambapa Temple
- Maa Shravan Khodiyar Mata Temple
- Gayatri Mata Temple
- Swaminarayan Temple
- Haveli una
- Tapovan Temple of Hanumanji near Una
- Khodiyar Mata Temple at Amodra near Una
- Kapasi Bapu Ashram at Khapat near Una
- Ratneshwar Mahadev Temple at Gupt Prayag near Una
- Gupt Prayag Tirth at Delwada near Una
- Annapurna Ashram at Dhokadava near Una
- Droneshwar Mahadev Temple at Dron near Una
- Tulsishyam famous for Temple of Krishna, and with 3 Hot water springs there, situated in middle of Gir forest near Una
- Bhim Chas this is historical place situated in middle of Gir forest near Una
- Banej Temple of Mahadev in middle of Gir forest near Una
- Tapkeshwar Mahadev at Fareda in Gir near Una
- Pataleshwar Mahadev at babariya in Gir near Una
- Khodiyar Mata Temple at Chikhala nes in Gir near Una
- Hanuman Temple at Vajdi near Una
- Jagjivandas Bapu Ashram at Simar near Una
- Dudhnath Mahadev Temple at Motha near Una
- Amargiri Bapu Ashram at Garal near Una
- Gangnath Mahadev Temple at Garal near Una
- Sidhnath Mahadev Temple at Saamter near Una
- Rudreshwar Mahadev Temple at Arithiya near Una
- Sopatiyala Mahadev Temple at Vadaviyala near Una
- Rajalvejal Mataji Temple at Valaviyala near Sopatiyala Temple
- Rajput villa At vadaviyala
The city has several hospitals and clinics.
- Community Health Center.
- Primary Health Centre Dhokadava.
- Shree Mehta Sarvajanik Hospital.
- Ramani Hospital Tower Chowk
- Bavadiya Hospital
- Manavdeep surgical hospital
- Natraj Hospital
- Sojitra Eye Hospital
- Gokul Hospital
- Dr Dhaval J Shah Super speciality Homoeopathic Clinic
Beating of DalitsEdit
In the month of July 2016, an extremist vigilante mob calling themselves "Gau raksha dal" brutally assaulted, stripped, and flogged a group of young Dalits, falsely claiming that they had "skinned a cow". The incident took place amidst full public view and was photographed. This sparked a nationwide outrage after around 10 Dalit men attempted to commit suicide in two separate incidents in Saurashtra with the entire region erupting into a wave of protests against the thrashing of the seven Dalit men.
Notes and referencesEdit
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- "Dalits assaulted for skinning cow: Gujarat CM orders probe as protests turn violent". The Indian Express. 19 July 2016. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- "Una dalit thrashing: Protest across Gujarat, groups demand to declare private cow protection committees illegal". The Indian Express. 21 July 2016. Retrieved 29 September 2018.