Type 77 heavy machine gun
The Type 77 heavy machine gun is described as China’s first generation designed 12.7 mm heavy machine gun.
Type 77 heavy machine gun used and mounted on M113A2 armoured personnel carrier by Pakistani Special Service Group (SSG) soldier.
|Type||Heavy machine gun|
|Place of origin||China|
|Mass||28 kg (61.73 lb) (gun only) |
28.3 kg (62.39 lb) (tripod)
|Length||2,150 mm (84.6 in)|
|Barrel length||1,016 mm (40.0 in)|
|Rate of fire||650-700 rounds/min|
|Muzzle velocity||825 m/s|
|Feed system||belt 60 rounds|
During the mid-1970s, China decided to develop a lighter 12.7 mm machine gun to replace the Type 54 (indigenous DShK) that was more suited for mobile anti-aircraft applications. The weapon was adopted in 1977 and mass production commenced in 1980. To save weight the Type 77 used a direct gas impingement operated action, somewhat unusual for a machine gun, resulting in few moving parts and a long and slim, tubular receiver. Overall weight of the gun and tripod comes to about 56 kg (120 lb), less than half that of a mounted Type 54/DShK, though it retains the same locking system and belt feed. The barrel is also thinner as light weight was favored over volume of fire, which causes it to overheat faster, with a prominent "pepperpot" muzzle brake. It has iron sights and a mount for a low-magnification optical sight suitable for engaging ground and air targets. The gun also has a large charging handle below the receiver, shoulder stock, and fires from an open bolt.
Type 85 heavy machine gunEdit
Just five years after the Type 77 entered service, it was replaced in production by the updated Type 85 heavy machine gun. An evolution on the Type 77, it used a more conventional muzzle brake and replaced the spade grips and separate cocking handle with horizontal grips and a sliding trigger unit, the entirety of which is moved forward and back to cock the gun. The gun and tripod were also lighter, weighing 24 kg (53 lb) and 17.5 kg (39 lb) respectively. Both weapons can be mounted on vehicles.
- Cambodia
- Djibouti
- Islamic State
- Mali: People's Movement for the Liberation of Azawad
- People's Republic of China
- South Sudan
- Free Syrian Army and Turkish-backed Free Syrian Army
- Iraqi security forces: Used by Unmanned ground vehicle "Alrobot". Also used by the Popular Mobilization Forces.
- Type 77 heavy machine gun (PR China) Archived 2010-09-14 at the Wayback Machine
- Indigenous Machine Guns of China: Part Two – Heavy Machine Guns Small Arms Defense Journal. 25 May 2014.
- Type 77 Weapon Systems.
- Timothy Yan (2016-06-21). "These Are not the DShKs you're looking for: Part 2, the W85 Heavy Machine Gun". Guns & Tech. Retrieved 2017-08-04.
- "Bataille de Mossoul: aux abois dans la deuxième ville d'Irak, Daech appelle ses partisans à commettre des attentats en Occident". France Soir (in French). 1 June 2017.
- "Etat islamique et chars d'assaut: comment les djihadistes emploient leurs blindés en Irak et en Syrie". France Soir (in French). 2 February 2017.
- Small Arms Survey (2005). "Sourcing the Tools of War: Small Arms Supplies to Conflict Zones" (PDF). Small Arms Survey 2005: Weapons at War. Oxford University Press. p. 166. ISBN 978-0-19-928085-8.
- "Sudan - Global trade, local impact: Arms Transfers to all Sides in the Civil War in Sudan" (PDF). Human Rights Watch Report. 10 (4): 25. August 1998.
- "Syrie: Liwa al-Mutasim, le groupe rebelle qui a lié son sort à la Turquie contre le régime d'Assad et les djihadistes". France Soir (in French). 25 October 2017.
- "Conflit syrien: les rebelles de la division Sultan Mourad, fer de lance de la Turquie en Syrie". France Soir (in French). 24 March 2017.
- "This Chinese weapons and hit play a leading role in Iraq on unmanned combat vehicles". Best China News. 2016-08-25. Retrieved 2018-09-22.
- 伊拉克用中国技术造出战斗机器人 配合无人机专打狙击手
- "Bataille de Mossoul: Harakat Hezbollah al-Nujaba, la milice chiite qui se bat en Syrie et en Irak". France Soir (in French). 8 November 2016.
- Puxton, Matteo (30 August 2017). "Kataib al-Imam Ali, cette puissante milice chiite qui se bat à la fois en Irak et en Syrie". France Soir (in French).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Type 85 heavy machine gun.|