Two Fingers Brewing Co.
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In 2012, several of their colleagues were affected by prostate cancer and they were shocked to learn that prostate cancer kills roughly as many men as breast cancer does women, despite awareness and funding of it being significantly lower.
Around this time, the company where they worked was moving to a new building with its own bar, so they came up with the idea to produce their own craft beer to sell within it – and realised the opportunity for that beer to give back to the men that drank it, by donating all its profits to prostate cancer charities.
After a positive response to a small batch of beer sold to family and friends, the friends decided to launch the brand nationally. So they spent 2013 building a supply chain of partners who all agreed to work at, near or below cost in support of the cause, as well as forming an official partnership with Prostate Cancer UK.
Two Fingers Brewing Co.'s first beer, Aurelio, went on sale to the public in January 2014. Notable retailers have included Tesco, Ocado, Morrisons, Jamie’s Italian, and Club Gascon, the Michelin-starred restaurant.
Two Fingers Brewing Co. currently sells one beer, called Aurelio, but have stated ambitions to expand their range, giving each beer a man’s name that describes the characteristics of the drink. Aurelio is a Latin man’s name meaning golden, due to that beer being a golden ale.
Aurelio is a 4.8% alcohol by volume golden ale, brewed with pale ale malt, crystal malt, goldings and admiral hops. Aurelio is brewed and bottled at cost for Two Fingers Brewing Co. by Hepworth & Co, the Sussex-based craft brewer.
Design and brandingEdit
Two Fingers Brewing Co.’s logo features a hand pointing with two fingers, which is designed to represent an oath to better beer, in reference to the brand's commitment to great beer for a great cause, as well as a two-fingered salute to prostate cancer. The hand points into a black hole, in an irreverent reference to the digital rectal examination for prostate cancer, although this is performed with one finger instead of two.
Awards and honoursEdit
- Best Craft Beer Innovation, International Beer Awards, 2014
- Contribution to the Community Award, Nectar Business Small Business Awards, 2014
- Named one of the UK’s 100 most resourceful, inspiring and disruptive small businesses in the Smarta 100 Awards, 2014
- Winner of a Business in the Community arc contest to win a London Underground advertising poster campaign, with an audience reach of over 2 million people and over 19 million opportunities to see
- Fiddes, Mark (20 January 2014). "Mark Fiddes on a New Year Resolution we can all keep: fighting prostate cancer". Harpers.co.uk. Harpers.co.uk. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Sadler, Matt (December 2014). "The Aurelio Story, How Beverage Brands Can Be Messengers for Good". Zmags.com. Canadean. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "Cancer mortality for common cancers". www.cancerresearchuk.org. Cancer Research UK. 15 September 2014. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Turnill, Nicky (March 2010). "Cancer awareness research Dip One Full Report Final" (PDF). esds.ac.uk/. Arden Cancer Network. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "Prostate cancer research 'lagging'". bbc.co.uk/news/. BBC News. 1 January 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Prosser, David (2 March 2015). "Small business person of the week: Fighting prostate cancer without running marathons". https://www.independent.co.uk. The Independent. Retrieved 24 April 2015. External link in
- Knowles, Victoria (31 July 2014). "Is this the best idea since beer itself?". https://www.2degreesnetwork.com. 2degrees. Retrieved 24 April 2015. External link in
- Allsopp, Ashleigh (21 January 2014). "Ad agency creates beer brand to help fight prostate cancer". digitalartsonline.co.uk. DigitalArts. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Briggs, Fiona (15 May 2014). "UK beer that fights prostate cancer wins international innovation award". retailtimes.co.uk/. Retail Times. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Sadler, Matt (6 March 2015). "Startup of the year 2014: Two Fingers Brewing Co". theguardian.com. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "Karren Brady shares her expertise at small businesses awards". bmmagazine.co.uk. BusinessMatters. 8 September 2014. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "Two Fingers Brewing Co". smarta.com/smarta100/. Smarta. November 2014. Archived from the original on 24 April 2015. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "arc Advertising Campaign Launch first ad campaign for Two Fingers Brewing and SMaRT Garage Services social enterprise enabled by Business in the Community (BITC) and big business". https://bdaily.co.uk/. Global Entrepreneurship Week. 20 November 2014. Archived from the original on 24 April 2015. Retrieved 24 April 2015. External link in
- Robinson, Howard (5 December 2014). "Small businesses create Christmas fair inside Downing Street to mark Small Business Saturday". https://bdaily.co.uk/. Bdaily. Retrieved 24 April 2015. External link in
- Joi, Shihab (23 February 2015). "Two Fingers Brewing Co. crowned UK winners of The Venture". huffingtonpost.co.uk/. The Huffington Post. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Triggle, Nick (15 August 2014). "Prostate cancer drug ruling a 'fiasco', says charity". bbc.co.uk/news/. BBC News. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "Brabners advises on launch of new charity beer to help fight prostate cancer" (PDF). manchesterlawsociety.org.uk/. Manchester Law Society. March 2014. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "Chesapeake/MPS Unify as Multi Packaging Solutions". http://uk.reuters.com/. Reuters. 4 June 2014. Retrieved 24 April 2015. External link in
- "Open Text says GXS acquisition will create growth opportunities". therecord.com/. The Record. 24 January 2014. Retrieved 24 April 2015.