The Empire Awards, is an annual British awards ceremony honoring cinematic achievements in the local and global film industry. Winners are awarded the Empire Award statuette. The awards, first presented in 1996, are presented by the British film magazine Empire with the winners voted by the readers of the magazine.
|23rd Empire Awards|
An Empire award
|Awarded for||Excellence in cinematic achievements|
|Last awarded||March 18, 2018|
|Website||2016 Official website|
The 23rd Empire Awards, the most recent ceremony, honoring films in 2017, was held on 18 March 2018 in London, England. The awards are sponsored by Jameson Irish Whiskey since the 14th Empire Awards and since then are officially called the Jameson Empire Awards. The official sponsor of the Awards changed to Rakuten TV for the 23rd Empire Awards. The Empire Film Awards design places the logo at the heart of the award and is cut from a single piece of thick, zinc-plated aluminium with red and black Perspex applied on top.
Empire Awards categoriesEdit
Award categories as of 2018Edit
- Best Actor: 1996 to present
- Best Actress: 1996 to present
- Best Director: 1996 to present
- Best Male Newcomer: 2012 to present
- Best Female Newcomer: 2012 to present
- Best Film: 1996 to present
- Best British Film: 1996 to present; In 2002 it was known as "Sky Movies Best British Film"
- Best Comedy: 2006 to present
- Best Horror: 2006 to present
- Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy: 2006 to present; In 2009 it was known as "Best Sci-Fi/Superhero"
- Best Thriller: 2006 to present
- Best Soundtrack: 2008-2009, 2016-present
- Best Animated Film: 2016 to present
- Best Documentary: 2016 to present
- Best Screenplay: 2016 to present
- Best Makeup And Hairstyling: 2016 to present
- Best Costume Design: 2016 to present
- Best Production Design: 2016 to present
- Best Visual Effects: 2016 to present
- Best TV Series: 2016 to present
- Best Actor in a TV Series: 2018 to present
- Best Actress in a TV Series: 2018 to present
- Best British Actor: 1996 to 2005
- Best British Actress: 1996 to 2005
- Best British Director: 1997 to 2001; 2005
- Best Supporting Actor: 2014
- Best Supporting Actress: 2014
- Best Newcomer: 1996 to 2011; From 1996 to 2002 it was known as "Best Debut" (was split into Male and Female Newcomer categories in 2012)
- Scene of the Year: 2003 to 2007; From 2003 to 2006 it was known as "Sony Ericsson Scene of the Year"; In 2007 it was known as "Scene of the Year"
- The Art of 3D: 2012 to 2013
- Done In 60 Seconds Award: 2008 to 2014
- Best Short Film: 2016 to 2017
Current honorary awardsEdit
As of the 19th Empire Awards these are the three awards which are currently handed out:
- Empire Hero Award: 2010 to present
- Empire Icon Award: 2006; 2008 to 2011; 2014
- Empire Inspiration Award: 1997; 1999 to 2002; 2004 to 2006; 2008; 2010 to present
- Empire Legend Award: 2012 to 2013; 2015 to 2017; Legend of our Lifetime Award: 2014; 2018
Retired honorary awardsEdit
- Contribution to Cinema Award: 2000 only
- Outstanding Contribution to British Cinema Award: 2005 to 2006; Outstanding Contribution To British Film: 2008 to 2010; Outstanding Contribution: 2013 only
- Independent Spirit Award: 2002 to 2005
- Lifetime Achievement Award: 1996 to 2003; 2006; Career Achievement Award: 2004 only
- Movie Masterpiece Award: 1999 to 2000
- Actor Of Our Lifetime: 2009 only
- Action Hero of Our Lifetime: 2014 only
- Legend of Our Lifetime: 2014; 2018
- Icon of the Decade: 2005 only
- Heath Ledger Tribute: 2009 only
- Dyer, James. "Vote For The 2018 Three Empire Awards:Final Round". Empire. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "Jameson Empire Awards 2009 - Nominations" (Press release). Bauer Consumer Media. March 2, 2009. Archived from the original on May 8, 2009.
- Turney, Ewan (December 1, 2008). "Jameson to sponsor Empire Awards". Morningadvertiser.co.uk. William Reed Business Media. Archived from the original on October 1, 2014. Retrieved October 1, 2014.
- "Empire Film Awards". Creative Awards. Retrieved 2018-05-11.