Turner Publishing Company
Turner Publishing Company is an American independent book publisher based in Nashville, Tennessee. The company is in the top 101 independent publishing companies in the U.S. as compiled by Bookmarket.com  and has been named four times to Publishers Weekly 's Fastest Growing Publishers List.
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Nashville, Tennessee|
|Distribution||Ingram Publisher Services|
|Key people||Todd Bottorff, President and Publisher|
|Imprints||Turner, Iroquois Press, Ramsey & Todd, Wiley, Ancestry, Fieldstone Alliance, Cumberland House Press, Hunter House, Jewish Lights, SkyLight Paths, Christian Journeys, Gemstone Press, Gurze Books|
Turner Publishing Company was founded in 1984 in Paducah, Kentucky as a publisher of books.
From 1984 to 2005 the company published specialty and commemorative titles focusing on history. During this period, Turner Publishing Company produced over five hundred titles in the categories of military history, local history, and organizational history, including: History of the FDNY (New York City Fire Department) and History of the 101st Airborne Division.
In 2002 the company was sold to new management and moved to Nashville, Tennessee. Turner launched its move into trade publishing with a program of regional history titles in 2005. This series of local history photography books, called "Historic Photos," numbered over four hundred titles and sold nationwide through all major retailers of books with numerous bestsellers in local markets.
After launching its first front list of national trade titles in 2007, Turner continues to produce a diverse list of an average of 25 new titles annually of fiction and non-fiction from leading authors.
In 2009 Turner commenced an acquisition program, beginning with the purchase of over 400 titles from the sale of Cumberland House. Turner acquired the book division of Ancestry.com the following year, as well as the assets of Fieldstone Alliance, a publisher of business books for non-profit organizations. Turner went on to acquire selected assets of Providence House, including the rights to bestselling author Eugenia Price.
Having reached capacity of its distribution facility by the year 2011, Turner outsourced distribution of its titles to Ingram Publisher Services. In 2013 Turner acquired over 1,000 crafts, pets, and general interest titles from John Wiley & Sons. In 2014, Turner acquired Hunter House Publishers. In 2016, Turner acquired Jewish Lights Publishing and three other imprints from LongHill Partners. In 2018, Turner acquired Gurze Books.
Notable Books and AuthorsEdit
Turner has over 2,000 titles, including 14 bestselling authors.
- Alan Dershowitz – The Case for Israel
- Keith Olbermann - Worst Person in the World
- Jack Cafferty – It’s Getting Ugly Out There
- Don Felder - Heaven and Hell
- Tedy Bruschi - Never Give Up
- Barney Hoskyns - Hotel California
- Barbara Wood - Domina; under the pseudonym Kathryn Harvey - Butterfly
- Peter D. Kiernan - Becoming China's Bitch
- Sheri Reynolds
- Alice Randall
- Deepak Chopra
- Steven Pratt
- Keith and Kent Zimmerman
- Eugenia Price
- Candy Spelling
- Scott Simon
- William F. Buckley
- William Least Heat-Moon
- Eleanor Clift
- Jack Nicklaus
- Hank Haney
- Dr. Ruth Westheimer
- Kirk Douglas
- Tony Curtis
- Turner: The flagship imprint
- Wiley: Turner publishes under the Wiley name, with permission, for over 1,000 acquired titles.
- Ancestry: Genealogy, acquired assets of the book division of Ancestry.com
- Fieldstone Alliance: Business Books for Non-profits, acquired assets of Fieldstone Alliance
- Iroquois Press: Fiction and Literature
- Ramsey and Todd: Children's books
- Cumberland House Press: Titles acquired from Cumberland House Press in 2009
- Hunter House
- Jewish Lights
- SkyLight Paths
- Christian Journeys
- Gemstone Press
- Gurze Books
- "Top 101 Independent Book Sellers". Bookmarket.com. Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- Milliot, Jim; Clare Swanson (March 3, 2014). Publishers Weekly. 261 (09): 33–34. Missing or empty
- "About Us | Turner Publishing". www.turnerpublishing.com. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "Wiley Sells Pets, Crafts and General Interest Titles to Turner". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2014-09-06.
- "Turner Publishing Buys Hunter House Assets". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- "Turner Publishing to Acquire Publishing Imprints of LongHill Partners | News and Press Releases · Turner Publishing to Acquire Publishing Imprints of LongHill Partners". TurnerPublishing.com/news. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- "LSC Buys TriLiteral; Turner Purchases Gürze Books". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2018-07-08.
- "Turner Publishing Company - About Us". Retrieved 18 March 2014.