Turn My Swag On
"Turn My Swag On" is a song written and recorded by American rapper Soulja Boy Tellem. It was released in December 2008 as the third single from his 2008 album iSouljaBoyTellem. It was performed at the 2009 BET Awards. The song topped the US Rap Charts and peaked at number 19 on the Hot 100. it has so far sold over 1,000,000 digital downloads in the US. It became Soulja Boy's third song to sell 1 million or more downloads, after "Kiss Me Thru The Phone" and "Crank Dat (Soulja Boy)".
|"Turn My Swag On"|
|Single by Soulja Boy Tellem|
|from the album iSouljaBoyTellem|
|Released||December 13, 2008|
|Label||Stacks on Deck, Collipark, HHH & Interscope|
|Producer(s)||Natural Disaster, Antonio TopcaT Randolph, and Chu|
|Soulja Boy Tellem singles chronology|
The music video was directed by Matt Alonzo and shot at roger flouton house in Beverly Hills. The music video peaked at number 1 on the Top 10 countdown of BET's 106 & Park. The video follows the theme of the song, with Soulja Boy Tellem appearing in the house while singing the song. It was leaked to YouTube before its official release date. The video ranked at number 5 on BET's Notarized: Top 100 Videos of 2009 countdown.
Remixes and in popular cultureEdit
The official remix has a new verse by Soulja Boy and features Lil' Wayne using the Auto-Tune effect. The song was leaked onto the internet and YouTube on February 12, 2009. This remix charted at number 65 on the US Hot 100 Airplay Chart.
Yung L.A., Jim Jones, Teairra Mari, Jadakiss, Rochelle Perts, Maino, Fabolous, Young Jeezy, Chingo Bling, Gucci Mane, R. Kelly, Busta Rhymes, Keri Hilson, Tyga and Chamillionaire have made their own freestyles to the song. New R&B group Richgirl have made their own cover to the song. In December 2010 teen rapper Izzy Moss released a song onto the internet titled "Touchdown" in response to Soulja Boy's "Turn My Swag On", in which he mimick's the use of Soulja Boy's phrase "Turn my swag on" in the chorus of his song. Willow Smith also followed the trend and used the phrase "Turn my swag on" in her hit single "Whip My Hair" in mid-2010.
Atlanta Hip-hop producer Greg Street created a remix of the song on 2009, combining Keri Hilson & Yung L.A.'s freestyles with the Soulja Boy original, which reached number 17 on the UK Singles Chart in September 2010. It can be found on his 2009 mixtape album Sertified Worldwide. It received interest after the Keri Hilson version was covered by Cher Lloyd on the seventh series of The X Factor and the only version available to download with Keri Hilson was the Greg Street version. Lloyd's cover has been viewed over 45 million times on YouTube.
In the late summer of 2010, Austrian rapper Money Boy released a cover version titled "Dreh den Swag auf" with German lyrics. The music video of it has been watched 18 million times on YouTube and that created a big media hype for Money Boy.
A portion of the song is featured in the American Dad! episode "Less Money, Mo' Problems". R&B singer Beyoncé interpolated the song's hook into "Hold Up", a single from her 2016 album, Lemonade.
- "Turn My Swag On" (album version) - 3:31
- "Turn My Swag On" (instrumental) - 3:31
- "Turn My Swag On" (Remix of album version) - 3:40
- "Turn My Swag On" (Remix of instrumental) - 3:40
- "Turn My Swag On"
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||48|
|UK R&B Singles (Official Charts Company)||12|
|US Billboard Hot 100||19|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||3|
|US Hot Rap Songs (Billboard)||3|
|US Pop 100 (Billboard)||39|
|US Rhythmic (Billboard)||12|
|US Billboard Hot 100||79|
A number of professional baseball players have used or are currently using the song as their at bat song, including: Ryan Braun of the Milwaukee Brewers, Manny Burriss of the San Francisco Giants, Hanley Ramírez of the Florida Marlins, Brandon Phillips of the Cincinnati Reds, Carlos Ruiz of the Philadelphia Phillies, Marcus Thames of the Detroit Tigers, Andruw Jones of the Texas Rangers, Matt Kemp of the Los Angeles Dodgers, Ryan Garko of the San Francisco Giants, Nick Swisher of the New York Yankees, Ian Stewart of the Colorado Rockies, Adam Jones of the Baltimore Orioles, Jack Cust of the Oakland Athletics, Coco Crisp of the Oakland Athletics, Ryan Howard of the Philadelphia Phillies, and Nick Green of the Boston Red Sox.
- Grein, Paul. "Week Ending Aug. 23, 2009: Over 50 And Still On Top". Yahoo! Music. Retrieved August 26, 2009.
- ""Turn My Swag On" remix featuring Lil Wayne". HipHopDX. Retrieved December 2, 2009.
- "RichGirl - He Aint With Me Now (tho) live". YouTube. Retrieved June 7, 2011.
- "Cher Lloyd's X Factor Audition (Full Version) - itv.com/xfactor". YouTube. September 4, 2010.
- JOHN PUTHENPURACKAL UND JAN SCHIMMANG. "Original & Fälschung: Ist Money Boys "Swag" nur geklaut?". BILD.de.
- "Money Boy - Dreh den Swag auf". YouTube. October 6, 2010.
- AHVV Verlags GmbH. "Money Boy: Der Wiener Youtube-Star im Heute.at-Talk". Heute.
- "Soulja Boy Tell'Em: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company.
- "Soulja Boy Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved September 20, 2014.
- "Soulja Boy Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved September 20, 2014.
- "Soulja Boy Chart History (Hot Rap Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved September 20, 2014.
- "iSouljaboytellem - Soulja Boy - Awards". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved September 20, 2014.
- "Soulja Boy Chart History (Rhythmic)". Billboard. Retrieved September 20, 2014.
- "Year End Charts - Year-end songs - The Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved November 12, 2010.
- "Colorado Breaking News, Sports, Weather, Traffic, Jobs". denverpost.com.
- "At Bat Songs | royals.com: Fan Forum". Kansascity.royals.mlb.com. Retrieved June 7, 2011.
- "World Series At-Bat Music Preview: Philadelphia Phillies » MTV Newsroom". Newsroom.mtv.com. October 28, 2009. Retrieved June 7, 2011.