Turkmenbashi International Airport
Türkmenbaşy International Airport (IATA: KRW, ICAO: UTAK), also known as Krasnovodsk Airport, is the second largest international airport in Turkmenistan. It is located in city Türkmenbaşy (Krasnovodsk). The airport opened in 1959. Passenger flights depart for Ashgabat (Ashgabat Airport), Daşoguz (Daşoguz Airport) and Mary (Mary International Airport). Founded in 1959.
Turkmenbash International Airport
Türkmenbaşy halkara aeroporty
|Elevation AMSL||283 ft / 86 m|
The airport was constructed in the 1950s and was an interceptor aircraft facility for the Soviet Air Force, known as Krasnovodsk air base. It initially operated the Sukhoi Su-9 (Fishpot) in the 1960s and 1970s. The regiment replaced it in 1978 with the MiG-23M (Flogger-B). In the 1990s the Turkmen Air Force took over operation of the military base.
In April 2010 a new four-story terminal building was opened with a capacity of 800 passengers per hour. In addition, a new control tower was put into operation. At the same time the airport can take 7 flights while providing international standards of service. The total area of the plot on which the new terminal is located, is about 80 hectares. The neighborhood is landscaped, planted and decorated with fountains. There are also indoor and outdoor parking areas for more than three hundred and eighty cars. At the opening of the International Airport of Turkmenbashi City it was visited by President of Turkmenistan Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov.
In the immediate vicinity of the main body of the terminal there is a facility to receive VIP-persons. It is used for VIP charter and business aviation, as well as to receive special flights and departure of delegations of the Government of Turkmenistan and guests of city of Turkmenbashi. The building has all the facilities for meetings and conferences.
In addition to the main terminal there is also an international cargo terminal and a freight transportation service equipped with automated handling.
Airlines and destinationsEdit
|Turkmenistan Airlines||Ashgabat, Daşoguz, Mary, Turkmenabat|
- AIP Turkmenistan Archived 2013-03-31 at the Wayback Machine
- "Transport in Turkmenbashi - Lonely Planet Travel Information". Lonelyplanet.com. Archived from the original on 2014-05-02. Retrieved 2012-06-26.
- PHASEOUT OF FISHPOT IN APVO STRANYY AIRFIELDS USSR, February 1981, CREST: CIA-RDP81T00380R000100980001-5, Central Intelligence Agency, Washington, DC.
- Новый аэропорт
- Turkmenbashi Airport in Polimeks
- Accident history for ASB at Aviation Safety Network
- Airport information for UTAA at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- Current weather for UTAA at NOAA/NWS
- Airport information for UTAA at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.