Anthony Moeaki (born June 8, 1987) is a former American football tight end. He played college football at Iowa. He was selected in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs, and also played for the Buffalo Bills, Seattle Seahawks and Atlanta Falcons.
Moeaki with the Chiefs in 2010
|Born:||June 8, 1987|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||270 lb (122 kg)|
|High school:||Wheaton Warrenville South|
|NFL Draft:||2010 / Round: 3 / Pick: 93|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Anthony graduated high school at Wheaton Warrenville South in 2005 and was high school football teammates with fellow Iowa Hawkeye Dace Richardson. In addition to football, he was also played basketball and tennis.
Moeaki played college football at the University of Iowa from 2005 to 2009.
Moeaki was projected to be a third or fourth round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft by NFL draft experts and scouts. He was ranked as the seventh tight end prospect in the draft by DraftScout.com and was ranked the eighth best tight end by Bleacher Report.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 3 in
|33 1⁄4 in
|10 1⁄8 in
|4.69 s||1.60 s||2.71 s||4.42 s||7.10 s||34 in
|9 ft 5 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
Kansas City ChiefsEdit
The Kansas City Chiefs selected Moeaki in the third round (93rd overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft. The Kansas City Chiefs traded their fourth (102nd overall) and fifth round picks (144th overall) in the 2010 NFL Draft to the Houston Texans in order to acquire the a third round pick (93rd overall) to draft Moeaki. Moeaki was the fourth tight end drafted from a class that included Rob Gronkowski, Jermaine Gresham, and Jimmy Graham.
He scored his first NFL touchdown in his first NFL game on Monday Night Football on September 13, 2010 on a 2-yard pass from quarterback Matt Cassel against the San Diego Chargers. Following the game against the San Francisco 49ers Moeaki received the Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week award after he put up 44 receiving yards and a spectacular one-handed touchdown grab.
On September 1, 2011, Moeaki was placed on IR after suffering an injury during a preseason game against the Green Bay Packers, which kept him out of the 2011 NFL season. He was reunited with quarterback Ricky Stanzi in 2011 when the Kansas City Chiefs drafted him in the 5th round.
Moeaki shared the starting role with Kevin Boss until Boss went on the IR in Week 2, when he became the primary tight end. He ended up with 33 receptions for 453 yards and a touchdown.
After fracturing his shoulder in the preseason, Moeaki was waived with an injury designation on August 31, 2013. He cleared waivers and was added to the Chiefs' injured reserve list. On October 23, an injury settlement was reached and Moeaki became a free agent.
- Roberts, Kevin (January 26, 2010). "2010 NFL Draft: Tight End Rankings". bleacherreport.com. Retrieved January 25, 2019.
- "NFL Player stats: Tony Moeaki". NFL.com. Retrieved January 25, 2019.
- Thorman, Chris (April 24, 2010). "2010 NFL Draft: Please Welcome Seven New Kansas City Chiefs". arrowheadpride.com. Retrieved January 25, 2019.
- Thorman, Joel (July 22, 2010). "Tony Moeaki Gets Four-Year Deal, Chiefs Confirm Signing". arrowheadpride.com. Retrieved January 25, 2019.
- Thorman, Joel (October 1, 2010). "Chiefs TE Tony Moeaki Takes Home NFL Rookie Of The Week". Retrieved October 1, 2010.
- Sessler, Marc (August 31, 2013). "Tony Moeaki waived/injured by Kansas City Chiefs". NFL.com. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- Teicher, Adam (October 23, 2013). "Chiefs still feeling loss of Moeaki". ESPN.com. Retrieved June 18, 2016.
- Brown, Chris (December 4, 2013). "TE Tony Moeaki signed by Bills". www.buffalobills.com. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- "Tony Moeaki released from IR after reaching settlement". www.buffalobills.com. September 1, 2014. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- Condotta, Bob (November 4, 2014). "Seahawks sign tight end Tony Moeaki, bring back Bryan Walters". SeattleTimes.com. Retrieved June 18, 2016.
- Rosen, Jeff (November 16, 2014). "Former Chiefs tight end Tony Moeaki scores with new team, the Seahawks". KansasCity.com. Retrieved June 18, 2016.
- Adams, Jay (March 19, 2015). "Falcons Continue to Add to TE Position". atlantafalcons.com. Retrieved March 19, 2015.
- "Falcons Reach 52 Man Roster". atlantafalcons.com. September 5, 2015. Retrieved September 5, 2015.
- "Falcons Place WR Hester On Short-Term IR". atlantafalcons.com. October 6, 2015. Retrieved October 6, 2015.
- Mayer, Larry (June 16, 2016). "Bears end offseason program, sign two". www.chicagobears.com. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- "Tony Moeaki: Contract terminated by Bears". CBSSports.com. September 3, 2016.
- "Much more to Moeaki than crutches". TheGazette. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "Harvey Unga gets married". Daily Herald. July 17, 2010.
- "Keilani Unga works her way back for senior season after life-changing event". Deseret News. January 17, 2013.