Antonio Branca (15 September 1916, Sion, Switzerland – 10 May 1985, Sierre, Switzerland) was a Formula One driver from Switzerland who competed in three World Championship races. His motor racing career was allegedly financed by an admiring Belgian countess, the Vicomtesse de Walkiers. Branca mainly competed in privately owned Maserati 4CLT, in Formula One and Two races.
|Born||15 September 1916|
Sion, Valais, Switzerland
|Died||10 May 1985 (aged 68)|
Sierre, Valais, Switzerland
|Formula One World Championship career|
|Active years||1950 - 1953|
|First entry||1950 Swiss Grand Prix|
|Last entry||1951 German Grand Prix|
Branca made his Formula One debut at the 1950 Swiss Grand Prix, finishing 11th, and briefly led the non-championship Formula One race in Circuit des Nations at Geneva in a Simca-Gordini. He scored a number of top-six placings in other minor races, his best finish being fourth at a Formula Two race at the Aix les Bains Circuit du Lac, before entering the Belgian Grand Prix and finishing in 10th place. Branca continued to race in 1951, retiring from the Formula One German Grand Prix and finishing sixth in the non-championship Pescara Grand Prix, but finished competing in Grand Prix racing at the end of the year.
Branca competed at a lower level until the mid-1950s, racing in hillclimbs and participated twice in the 24 Hours of Le Mans race. Racing with a Moretti 750cc, in 1955 the car was not ready and could not be brought to the starting line at the time of the start, and in 1956 the car broke down before his turn behind the steering wheel.
Complete Formula One World Championship resultsEdit
|1950||Scuderia Achille Varzi||Maserati 4CLT||Maserati Straight-4||GBR||MON||500||SUI
|1951||Antonio Branca||Maserati 4CLT/48||Maserati Straight-4||SUI||500||BEL||FRA||GBR||GER
- Jenkins, Richard. "Where are they now: Toni Branca". Old Racing Cars. Retrieved 19 February 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Toni Branca profile". ESPN F1. ESPN. Retrieved 19 February 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Antonio Branca profile". Grandprix.com. Inside F1. Retrieved 19 February 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "II Circuit du Lac 1950". Formula2.net. Retrieved 19 February 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "1951 Pescara Circuit - Classification". Chicane F1. Retrieved 19 February 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)