Tone District, Gunma
This article does not cite any sources. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Tone District (利根郡 Tone-gun) is a rural district located in Gunma Prefecture, Japan. As of January 2015, the district had an estimated population of 34,946 and an area of 1,322.23 km², with a population density of 26.4 people per square kilometer.
Towns and villagesEdit
The area of Tone District was formerly part of Kōzuke Province. Per a census conducted at the end of the Edo period, the area was divided into one town and 66 villages administered as tenryō directly by the Tokugawa shogunate or various hatamoto and two towns and 47 villages under the control of Numata Domain. One village was under the joint control of the Shogunate and Numata Domain.
- April 1, 1889 – With the establishment of the municipalities system, the town of Numata and the villages of Tonami, Ikeda, Usune, Kawada, Shirasawa, Kawaba, Komemaki, Momono, Azuma, Yunohara, Katashina, and Minakami were placed within the district. (1 town, 12 villages)
- April 1, 1896 (1 town, 16 villages)
- May 1, 1908 - The villages of Kuga and Yunohara merged to form the village of Niiharu. (1 town, 15 villages)
- October 10, 1947 - The village of Minakami gained town status. (2 towns, 14 villages)
- April 1, 1954 - The town of Numata and the villages of Tonami, Ikeda, Usune, and Kawada merged to form the city of Numata. (1 town, 10 villages)
- April 1, 1955 - The villages of Komemaki and Monono merged to form the town of Tsukiyono. (2 towns, 8 villages)
- September 30, 1956 - The villages of Azuma and Akagine merged to form the village of Tone. (2 towns, 7 villages)
- November 1, 1958 - The villages of Kuroho and Itonose merged to form the village of Shōwa. (2 towns, 6 villages)
- February 13, 2005 - The villages of Shirasawa and Tone merged into the city of Numata. (2 towns, 4 villages)
- October 1, 2005 - The towns of Tsukiyono and (former) Minakami, and the village of Niiharu merged to form the town of Minakami. (1 town, 3 villages)
|This Gunma Prefecture location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|