Tomas Haake (born 13 July 1971) is a Swedish drummer and main lyricist of the extreme metal band Meshuggah. He is known for his polyrhythms and technical ability. In 2012, Haake was named the 5th best Modern Metal drummer by MetalSucks.net. In the July 2008 edition of Modern Drummer magazine, Haake was named the number one drummer in the "Metal" category, as decided upon in the magazine's Readers' Poll.
Tomas Haake in Stockholm in May 2005.
|Birth name||Tomas Haake|
13 July 1971|
|Genres||Extreme metal, progressive metal, djent|
Haake writes the majority of Meshuggah lyrics and also contributes spoken vocals on several songs ("Choirs of Devastation" on the album Contradictions Collapse, "Inside What's Within Behind", "Suffer in Truth", and "Sublevels" on the album Destroy Erase Improve, "Sane", "The Exquisite Machinery of Torture" on the album Chaosphere, "Spasm" on the album Nothing, as well as on several tracks on the album Catch Thirtythree and on the song "Dancers to a Discordant System" from obZen).
Haake has cited musicians from heavy metal, jazz fusion and progressive rock as influences. He cites English bands such as Black Sabbath, American bands such as Metallica, and Canadian band Rush. His favourite drummers include Sean Reinert (Cynic), Neil Peart (Rush), Ian Mosley (Marillion), Terry Bozzio (Missing Persons and Frank Zappa), Vinnie Colaiuta, Gary Husband and Dave Weckl.
- Sticks - Wincent
This section does not cite any sources. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Hill, Gemma. "Interview with Tomas Haake". mikedolbear.com. Archived from the original on 20 August 2013. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- "Top 25 Modern Metal Drummers".
- "Tomas Haake". Drummerworld. Retrieved 30 July 2008.
- 1995 Interview with Tomas Haake of Meshuggah Archived 2016-03-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-06-26. Retrieved 2015-06-25.
- Meshuggah's Tomas Haake + OITNB's Jessica Pimentel - Entertainment's Most Metal Couple