Tim Fox (politician)
Timothy Charles Fox (born August 22, 1957) is an American lawyer and Republican politician. He is the current Attorney General of Montana, having been elected in 2012 and re-elected in 2016. Fox was a candidate for Governor of Montana in the 2020 election.
|24th Attorney General of Montana|
|Assumed office |
January 7, 2013
|Preceded by||Steve Bullock|
Timothy Charles Fox
August 22, 1957
Hardin, Montana, U.S.
|Education||University of Montana,|
Missoula (BS, JD)
Early life and educationEdit
Fox was born on August 22, 1957. A native of Hardin, Montana, he is one of five sons of Rich and Roberta Fox. Fox graduated from the University of Montana with degrees in geology and law, respectively. He has also earned a master's degree in public administration.
Montana Attorney General (2013–present)Edit
A Republican, Fox was elected Montana Attorney General in 2012 and was re-elected in 2016. During Fox's tenure, the Montana Department of Justice created a statewide testing and tracking system for untested rape kits. Along with other Republican attorneys general, Fox filed suit against the Obama administration's Clean Power Plan and against the Environmental Protection Agency over the Waters of the United States Rule. Fox has represented the inland states' interests in a lawsuit against the state of Washington over its refusal to permit a coal export terminal that would provide access to Asian markets.
2020 Montana gubernatorial campaignEdit
Election results can be found on the website of the Montana Secretary of State.
|Montana Attorney General Republican Primary, 2008||Republican win||Tim Fox||Republican||43,662||56.6|
|Montana Attorney General Election, 2008||Democratic hold||Steve Bullock||Democratic||245,669||52.6|
|Montana Attorney General Republican Primary, 2012||Republican win||Tim Fox||Republican||70,239||57.8|
|Montana Attorney General Election, 2012||Republican gain from Democratic||Tim Fox||Republican||252,916||53.7|
|Attorney General Republican Primary, 2016||Republican win||Tim Fox||Republican||unopposed|
|Montana Attorney General Election, 2016||Republican hold||Tim Fox||Republican||332,766||67.67|
- "Fox, Jent vie for attorney general's seat". Great Falls Tribune. October 14, 2016. Retrieved January 23, 2020.
- "Attorney General Tim Fox". Montana Department of Justice. Retrieved January 23, 2020.
- "Tim Fox (R), Montana Attorney General". National Association of Attorneys General. Archived from the original on 2013-09-24. Retrieved January 23, 2020.
- Volz, Matt (January 24, 2019). "Montana attorney general announces campaign for governor". Associated Press. Retrieved January 23, 2020.
- "State website gives updates on untested sex assault kits". Great Falls Tribune. Retrieved 2019-06-12.
- Fraser, Jayme. "Montana joins lawsuit challenging clean-power rules". The Billings Gazette. Retrieved 2019-06-12.
- King, Jon. "Montana Files Lawsuit Against EPA Over "Waters of the U.S." Rule". Newstalk KGVO. Retrieved 2019-06-12.
- Fox, Tim (2018-06-21). "Opinion | Washington State Should Stop Blocking Planned Coal Export Terminal". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-06-12.
- "Official Election Results". Montana Secretary of State. Retrieved January 23, 2020.
| Attorney General of Montana