Thunderbolt (DC Comics)
The Thunderbolt is both the name of a fictional character appearing in comics published by DC Comics and the name of other fictional genies within the 5th dimension. The primary Thunderbolt is Yz, originally portrayed as a genie-like character who hosts Johnny Thunder and Jakeem Thunder and appeared as an original member of the Justice Society of America.
|First appearance||Flash Comics #1 (January 1940)|
|Created by||John B. Wentworth|
|Species||5th Dimension Jinn|
|Team affiliations||Justice Society of America|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (June 2018)
Fictional character biographyEdit
Yz is a 5th Dimension Jinn who resided in a pen that was entrusted to Johnny Thunder on his birthday where the Badhnesians would use it to rule the world. This plan was thwarted when Badhnesia was attacked by a neighboring country. Later on, Johnny Thunder became aware of Thunderbolt's existence and the summoning word "cei-u."
When Johnny Thunder started suffering from symptoms of Alzheimer's disease, he loses track of a pen in which the Thunderbolt is being stored. The pen eventually ends up in the ownership of a young African American boy named Jakeem Williams, who takes up the name Johnny Jakeem Thunder or Jakeem Thunder.
In a later battle with Solomon Grundy, Jakeem unwittingly cures Johnny Thunder of Alzheimer's thanks to Thunderbolt. However, Johnny immediately falls prey to the Ultra-Humanite, who takes over Johnny's body in order to command the Thunderbolt's powers. In the "Stealing Thunder" storyline, Jakeem is one of several heroes left free from Ultra-Humanite's control. Eventually Jakeem wrests control of the Thunderbolt back from Ultra-Humanite, but Johnny Thunder loses his life. Jakeem then wishes that the Thunderbolt could save Johnny somehow, so the genie chooses to merge with Johnny, creating a new being with the memories of both. He later assumes the name Johnny Thunderbolt.
- Mzzttexxal is a parasitic energy being from an unknown planet. She bonded with a private detective named Jonni Thunder.
- Zzlrrrzzzm is a parasitic energy being from an unknown planet and is the lover of Mzzttexxal. He later became bonded to Skyman.
- Mildred is the Thunderbolt's wife.
- Shocko is the Thunderbolt's son.
Other characters named Thunderbolt:
In other mediaEdit
- "DC's 'Rebirth': Decoding the Superhero Comic Book Relaunch". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- "CEI-U! Did Johnny Thunder Banish the JSA? Can He Bring Them Back for Rebirth?". Newsarama. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- "Doomsday Clock #3, Annotated Part 2 - The JSA 'Returns,' Doom Patrol & Arkham". CBR. 26 January 2018.
- Flash Comics 1: 34-35 (January 1940), All-American Publications
- Flash Comics 8: 32 (August, 1940), All-American Publications
- Flash Comics 2: 35 (February, 1940), All-American Publications
- E. Nelson Bridwell (w), Kurt Schaffenberger (p), Frank Chiaramonte (i). "The Rescue of His Majesty, Johnny Thunder" Superman Family 204 (November/December, 1980), DC Comics
- JLA #26
- JSA #46
- DC Universe: Rebirth one-shot (May 2016)
- Jonni Thunder #1. DC Comics.
- Infinity Inc. #41. DC Comics.
- Flash Comics #69
- Action Comics #45. DC Comics.
|← The original Hawkman, the original Hawkgirl, Hath-Set and Nth Metal were debuted by Gardner Fox and Dennis Neville. See Hawkman (Carter Hall), Hawkman, Shiera Sanders Hall, Hawkgirl, Hath-Set and Nth metal for more info and the previous timeline.|| Timeline of DC Comics (1940s)
January 1940 (See also: Johnny Thunder)
|Whiz Comics series was debuted by Fawcett Comics. See Whiz Comics for more info and next timeline. →|