Thomas C. Perry
|Thomas C. Perry|
|Mayor of Akron, New York|
|Born||Thomas Charles Perry
April 6, 1941
Batavia, New York
|Died||June 4, 2017 (aged 76)|
(m. 1962; his death 2017)
|Alma mater||Michigan State University|
|Known for||President and CEO of Perry's Ice Cream|
Thomas C. Perry was born on April 6, 1941 in Batavia, New York, the son of Esther Buchele and Marlo Perry, a former Akron village trustee and mayor who was a 1935 graduate of Cornell University. His brothers were Dale Perry and Allyn Perry and his sister was Linda Perry Capan. His grandfather was H. Morton Perry, the founder of Perry's Ice Cream in 1918.
He attended high school in Akron, New York and later graduated from Michigan State University with a degree in food science with a focus on dairy business. He received an honorary doctorate from Buffalo State College, in 2005.
After graduating from Michigan State University, joined Perry’s full-time in 1963. He was promoted to operations manager in 1971. He spearheaded the design for a new ice cream plant, which tripled Perry's production capacity. In 1982, he succeeded his father as president and chief executive officer and became chairman of the board in 1988, following his father’s death. In 1999, he was a finalist for the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award.
He stepped down as president in 1994, and retired as chief executive officer in 2000, and was succeeded by Robert Denning, his son-in-law. He served as chairman of the board and, at the time of his death, chairman emeritus.
In December 1962, he married Marilyn Peterson. Together, they were the parents of:
- Brian Perry, who married Jayne
- Gayle Perry Denning, who married Robert Denning in 1989.
- Marcia Perry, who married Alvaro Rodriguez
Perry died, aged 76, on June 4, 2017 after a lengthy illness.
- Staff (June 5, 2017). "Thomas Charles Perry". The Batavian. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- Anderson, Dale (7 June 2017). "Thomas C. Perry, 76, led expansion of Perry's Ice Cream". The Buffalo News. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "Thomas C. Perry - Perry's Ice Cream". perrysicecream.com. Perry's Ice Cream. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "PERRY, Thomas C.". The Buffalo News. 6 June 2017. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- Thompson, Sarah (2009). "Cornell sweetens upstate New York's dairy future". ezramagazine.cornell.edu. Ezra Update. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- State, Buffalo. "SUNY HONORARY DOCTORATE | Commencement | SUNY Buffalo State". commencement.buffalostate.edu. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "Buffalo State College Holds 133rd Commencement Ceremonies". News and Events | Buffalo State. May 5, 2005. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "Perry's Ice Cream Company, Inc.: Board of Directors - Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Bloomberg. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "How I ... Joined the Perry ice cream family". Buffalo Business Journal. May 22, 2015. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- Lindahl, Kaitlin (July 24, 2013). "Perry’s Ice Cream churns 95 years of frozen delights | www.clarencebee.com | Clarence Bee". The Clarence Bee. Retrieved 9 June 2017.