The Ugly Duckling (Pinkney book)
The Ugly Duckling is a 1999 adaption of the classic Hans Christian Andersen story by Jerry Pinkney. It is about a cygnet born amongst ducklings that is bullied, runs away, and eventually grows into a beautiful swan.
First edition cover of The Ugly Duckling
|Author||Hans Christian Andersen|
|Genre||Children's literature, fairy tale, picture book|
|Published||1999 (Morrow Junior Books)|
|Media type||Print (hardback)|
Common Sense Media, in a review of The Ugly Duckling, wrote "Illustrator Jerry Pinkney's descriptive passages resonate with the splendor of nature's beauty." and "The subtle details incorporated into the scenes .. will encourage children to take another look at this old and familiar story." School Library Journal called it "An artistic tour de force that is worthy of its graceful fine-feathered subject." and The Horn Book Magazine found it "a splendid production."
- "The Ugly Duckling". www.commonsensemedia.org. Common Sense Media Inc. Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- "The Ugly Duckling: Reviews". catalog.wccls.org. Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- "The Ugly Duckling". Publishers Weekly. PWxyz LLC. March 22, 1999. Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- "The Ugly Duckling". kcls.bibliocommons.com. Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- "The Ugly Duckling". Kirkus Reviews. Kirkus Media LLC. March 1, 1999. Retrieved January 12, 2017.
A spirited, artistic adaptation, and a welcome addition to the shelves.
- "The Ugly Duckling (book and cassette)". audiofilemagazine.com. 2001. Retrieved January 12, 2017.
Double-page spreads depicting the majesty of the natural world are delightful, and Lynn Whitfield [narrator] brings pleasure to the listening experience.
- "2000 Notable Children's Books: Younger Readers". American Library Association. Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- "The Ugly Duckling, 2000 Caldecott Honor Book". ala.org. ALA. Retrieved January 12, 2017.