The Truth (2019 film)
The Truth (French: La Vérité) is a 2019 French-Japanese drama film, written and directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda. It stars Catherine Deneuve, Juliette Binoche, Ethan Hawke, Ludivine Sagnier, Clémentine Grenier, Manon Clavel, Alain Libolt, Christian Crahay and Roger Van Hool. It is Kore-eda's first film set outside Japan and not in his native language.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Hirokazu Kore-eda|
|Produced by||Muriel Merlin|
|Written by||Hirokazu Kore-eda|
|Music by||Alexeï Aïgui|
|Edited by||Hirokazu Kore-eda|
|Box office||$4.6 million|
The film had its world premiere at the Venice on 28 August 2019. It was released in Japan on 11 October 2019, by GAGA Pictures, and in France on 25 December 2019, by Le Pacte.
Fabienne is one of the great stars of French cinema. She reigns amongst men who love and admire her. However, she has a problematic relationship with her daughter Lumir, a screenwriter. When Lumir and her husband return to Paris with their young child, things come to a head with the publication of Fabienne’s memoir: the reunion between mother and daughter quickly turns confrontational as truths are told, accounts are settled and love and resentment are confessed.
- Catherine Deneuve as Fabienne
- Juliette Binoche as Lumir, Fabienne's daughter
- Ethan Hawke as Hank, Lumir's husband
- Ludivine Sagnier as Amy
- Clémentine Grenier as Charlotte
- Manon Clavel as Manon
- Alain Libolt as Luc Garbois
- Christian Crahay as Jacques
- Roger Van Hool as Pierre
- Laurent Capelluto as Journalist
- Maya Sansa
- Jackie Berroyer as The Chef
In January 2019, IFC Films and Curzon Artificial Eye acquired U.S. and U.K. distribution rights to the film. The film had its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival on 28 August 2019. It also screened at the Toronto International Film Festival on 9 September 2019.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 83% based on 59 reviews, with an average rating of 6.74/10. The website's critics consensus reads: "The Truth may not stand with Hirokazu Kore-eda's best work, but it finds the writer-director revisiting familiar themes with a typically sensitive touch." Metacritic assigned the film a weighted average score of 71 out of 100, based on 13 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "La vérité". The Numbers. Retrieved 1 March 2020.
- "IFC FILMS NABS "THE TRUTH" FROM DIRECTOR HIROKAZU KORE-EDA". February 8, 2019. Retrieved February 9, 2019.
- Wiseman, Andreas (July 16, 2018). "Juliette Binoche, Ethan Hawke & Catherine Deneuve To Star In 'The Truth' Palme d'Or Winner Hirokazu Kore-eda". Deadline. Retrieved February 9, 2019.
- Chang, Justin (November 23, 2018). "Hirokazu Kore-eda carries on through success and sadness with the release of his Palme d'Or winner, 'Shoplifters'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 9, 2019.
- Binoche, Juliette (October 17, 2018). "Today shooting with Kore-eda 🖤". Instagram. Retrieved April 23, 2019.
- Raup, Jordan (May 22, 2018). "Hirokazu Kore-eda's New Drama Starring Juliette Binoche and Catherine Deneuve Gets Title and Synopsis". The Film Stage. Retrieved February 9, 2019.
- Brzeski, Patrick (February 8, 2019). "IFC Films Acquires Hirokazu Kore-eda's 'The Truth' Starring Juliette Binoche, Ethan Hawke". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 9, 2019.
- Goodfellow, Melanie (February 9, 2019). "Wild Bunch scores strong sales on Hirokazu Kore-eda's 'The Truth' (exclusive)". Screendaily. Retrieved February 9, 2019.
- Vivarelli, Nick (18 July 2019). "Hirokazu Kore-eda's 'The Truth' With Catherine Deneuve, Juliette Binoche to Open Venice Film Festival". Variety. Retrieved 18 July 2019.
- Vlessing, Etan (August 13, 2019). "'The Aeronauts,' 'Burnt Orange Heresy' Added to Toronto Film Fest Lineup". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 13, 2019.
- "The Truth". IFC Films. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- "The Truth". Curzon Artificial Eye. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- Welk, Brian (March 12, 2020). "Hollywood's Day of Reckoning: 'Mulan,' 'F9' and More Delayed Over Coronavirus Fears". TheWrap. Retrieved March 12, 2020.
- "The Truth (La vérité) (2020)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 14 March 2020.
- "The Truth Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2 January 2020.