The Sun Is Also a Star
The Sun Is Also a Star is a 2019 American teen drama film directed by Ry Russo-Young and written by Tracy Oliver, based on the young adult novel of the same name by Nicola Yoon. The film stars Yara Shahidi and Charles Melton, and follows a young couple who fall in love, while one of their families faces deportation.
|The Sun is Also a Star|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ry Russo-Young|
|Screenplay by||Tracy Oliver|
|Based on||The Sun Is Also a Star|
by Nicola Yoon
|Music by||Herdis Stefánsdóttir|
|Edited by||Joe Landauer|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
|Box office||$5.4 million|
It was theatrically released in the United States on May 17, 2019, by Warner Bros. Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures. The film received mixed reviews from critics and was a box-office bomb, only grossing $5.4 million.
Natasha Kingsley is a young quantum physics student who, on an ordinary day, meets a charming young would-be medical student, Daniel Bae. The two quickly form a romantic relationship but must struggle to keep it together in the wake of Natasha’s family facing deportation back to Jamaica.
Filming began on June 19, 2018. In June, Camrus Johnson was cast to play Omar in the film, and on June 29, 2018, Miriam A. Hyman also joined the cast, as Natasha's mother Mrs. Kingsley, a hard-working Jamaican-born waitress who is resigned to her family's imminent deportation. In July 2018, Cathy Shim was cast to play Min Soo Bae, a Korean immigrant in the film.
In the United States and Canada, The Sun Is Also a Star was released on May 17, 2019 alongside John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum and A Dog's Journey, and was initially projected to gross $6–12 million from 2,037 theaters in its opening weekend. However, after making $1 million on its first Friday, estimates were lowered to $3 million. It ended up debuting to $2.5 million, one of the worst-ever openings for a film playing in over 2,000 theaters.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 52% based on 79 reviews, with an average rating of 5.66/10. The website's critical consensus reads: "The Sun Is Also a Star has a pair of easy-to-love leads, but tests the audience's affection with a storyline that strains credulity past the breaking point." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 52 out of 100, based on 25 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews." Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "B–" on an A+ to F scale, while those at PostTrak gave it 2.5 out of 5 stars.
- Anthony D'Alessandro (May 18, 2019). "'John Wick: Chapter 3' Takes Out 'Avengers' With $56M+ Opening, But 'Endgame' Bests 'Avatar' As 2nd Highest Grossing Pic Ever At Domestic B.O." Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 18, 2019.
- "The Sun Is Also a Star (2019)". The Numbers. Retrieved June 1, 2019.
- Musnicky, Sarah (June 19, 2018). "WB and MGM Start Production on The Sun Is Also a Star". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Busch, Anita (June 11, 2018). "Loren Dean Joins 'The Mule'; Camrus Johnson Boards 'The Sun Is Also A Star'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 1, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (June 30, 2018). "'The Sun Is Also A Star' Adds Miriam A. Hyman; Nicole Amber Maines Toplines LGBTQ Indie 'Bit'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 30, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (July 17, 2018). "Cinthya Carmona Joins 'The Tax Collector'; Cathy Shim Cast In 'The Sun Is Also A Star'; Jake Allyn In 'Kill Me Twice'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 18, 2018.
- Rebecca Rubin (May 14, 2019). "Box Office: 'John Wick 3' Takes Aim at 'Avengers: Endgame'". Variety. Retrieved May 14, 2019.
- "The Sun Is Also a Star (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved May 24, 2019.
- "The Sun Is Also a Star Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved May 22, 2019.