The Red Inn
The Red Inn (French: L'auberge rouge) is a 1951 French comedy-crime film directed by Claude Autant-Lara, starring Fernandel, Françoise Rosay and Julien Carette. Set in 1833, it tells the story of how a monk visits the inn l'Auberge rouge in Peyrebeille, where the innkeeper confesses to a number of serious sins. The film is based on the actual crime case of the Peyrebeille Inn. It premiered on 19 October 1951. A remake of the film, directed by Gérard Krawczyk, premiered in 2007.
|The Red Inn|
|Directed by||Claude Autant-Lara|
|Produced by||Simon Schiffrin|
|Written by||Jean Aurenche|
|Music by||René Cloërec|
|Edited by||Madeleine Gug|
|Distributed by||Les Acacias|
- Fernandel as the monk
- Françoise Rosay as Marie Martin
- Marie-Claire Olivia as Mathilde
- Jean-Roger Caussimon as Dauvin
- Nane Germon as Elisa
- Jacques Charon as Rodolphe
- Julien Carette as Pierre Martin
- Grégoire Aslan as Barbeuf
- Andrée Viala as La Marquise De La Roche de Glun
- Didier D'yd as Janou
- Lud Germain as Fétiche
- Robert Berri as Le Cocher
- André Cheff as Le dandy
- André Dalibert as le bûcheron
- Manuel Gary as Un gendarme
- René Lefevre-Bel as Un gendarme
The film was originally supposed to be an adaptation of Honoré de Balzac's 1831 short story The Red Inn ("L'auberge rouge"), as part of the commemoration 100 years after Balzac's death. When the financing encountered problems and took longer than expected, the filmmakers decided to keep the title, but change the project into a treatment of the events of the Auberge rouge in Peyrebeille, which are unrelated to Balzac's story.
The story had been filmed twice before, as a 1910 French silent film adapted by Abel Gance, and later as a 1923 film directed by Jean Epstein, with both of those earlier versions sticking much closer to the original story.
- "L'auberge rouge (1951)". AlloCiné (in French). Retrieved 2014-09-10. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "L'auberge rouge (2007)". AlloCiné (in French). Retrieved 2014-09-10. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Anecdotes du film L'auberge rouge". AlloCiné (in French). Retrieved 2014-09-10. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Workman, Christopher; Howarth, Troy (2016). "Tome of Terror: Horror Films of the Silent Era". Midnight Marquee Press. p. 267. ISBN 978-1936168-68-2.