The Real News
|Country||United States and Canada (main, also studios in other countries)|
|Broadcast area||Global (World Wide Web)|
|Slogan||"The future depends on knowing"|
|Headquarters||Baltimore, MD and Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
(founded by Paul Jay and Mishuk Munier)
Influenced by events such as the 2000 US presidential election, 9/11, the invasion of Iraq, and Hurricane Katrina, Jay felt that there needed to be a news network capable of making complicated concepts accessible to the average person. Jay and crew officially opened shop in Toronto in September 2007. According to a 2007 interview with Jay, The Real News does not accept funding from advertising, governments, or corporation; Jay said that during TRNN's development stage it turned down $50,000 in funding from the Canadian government. The organization is sustained through donations from viewers and foundations, and has a small for-profit segment as well.
Relocation to BaltimoreEdit
TRNN moved to Baltimore in June 2014. Located at 231 N Holliday St., TRNN operates out of the largest sound stage in the city.[dead link] After the network's success in Toronto, Jay desired to move TRNN to an American city, one facing social and economic problems endemic to cities across the country. Using video-calling services such as Skype, TRNN's anchors and hosts interview experts from all over the world on various topics of local, national, and international importance.[dead link]
On its launch in 2007, the Real News featured experienced professional journalists from across the globe, and employed around forty people. In mid-November 2019, the board announced it was "finalizing the terms of" the departure of co-founders Paul Jay and Sharmini Peries, with openings for Executive Director and Editor-in-Chief.[non-primary source needed]
Analysts and journalistsEdit
- Former CEO and Senior Editor: Paul Jay[unreliable source?]
- Former Chief Broadcast: Mishuk Munier
- Former Journalist and Executive Producer: Sharmini Peries[unreliable source?]
- Former Producer and presenter: Aaron Maté
- Executive Director: John Duda
- Newsroom: Aman Azhar, Lisa Snowden-McCray, Bababtunde Ogunfolaju, Genevieve Montinar, Jacqueline Luqman, Kelly McAdams, Charles Lenchner, Steve Horn, Adam Coley, Andrew Corkery, Rosette Sewali, Will Arenas, Taylor Hebden, Jocelyn Dombroski, Cameron Granadino, Daryl Lewis, Queenie Coulton, James Daley, Dwayne Gladden, Kayla Rivara, Stephen Frank, Jaisal Noor, Taya Graham, Stephen Janis, Eddie Conway, Marc Steiner, Oscar León
The Real News interviews economists, politicians, and policy experts about breaking news. Regular programs include "Reality Asserts Itself," multi-segment interviews on critical issues, and "Rattling the Bars" with host and former Black Panther Eddie Conway. Lawrence Wilkerson, former Chief of Staff to Colin Powell, is a regular contributor. For a time, progressive politician and activist Nina Turner hosted The Nina Turner Show.[non-primary source needed]
- "Contact Us". The Real News. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- "The Real News". Roku. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- "Curiosity, driving trucks, and a dash of Roland Barthes: A POV interview with Paul Jay – Point of View Magazine". povmagazine.com. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- ""Oh, you mean the REAL news!": Interview with Paul Jay, IWT/The Real News, Part 2". Daily Kos. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- Snowden-McCray, Lisa. "Keeping It Real: In the age of consolidated media companies, what sets The Real News Network apart?". Baltimore. Retrieved 2020-08-03.
- "The Real News Media Center Grand Opening". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- "Real News Network Skypes In Voice of the Common Man | NewTek Studio". blog.newtek.com. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- Zaleski, Andrew. "Real News Network plants roots-and tackles the "media desert". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 2020-08-03.
- "News without the sponsors". The Age. 2007-08-16. Retrieved 2016-05-13.
- "TRNN Announces Two New Executive Positions and Departure of Paul Jay and Sharmini Peries". The Real News Network. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- Smith, Yves (2019-11-08). "Paul Jay and Sharmini Peries Ousted from The Real News Network in June; Current Fundraiser Hides that Fact; Falling Viewership and Liberal Turn Result". Naked Capitalism. naked capitalism. Retrieved 2019-11-08.
Paul and Sharmini were on leave over the summer and subsequently left the organization, and are in conversations with the TRNN Board about finalizing the terms of their departure.
- "PERI: PERI Multimedia". peri.umass.edu. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "The Laura Flanders Show". The Real News Network. Retrieved 2019-11-18.