The Real News
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|The Real News|
(founded by Paul Jay)
|Slogan||"The future depends on knowing"|
|Country||United States and Canada (main, also studios in other countries)|
|Broadcast area||Global (World Wide Web)|
|Headquarters||Baltimore, MD and Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (April 2017)|
Beginning with a grant from the Macarthur Foundation, Jay spent three years raising $4,750,000 before launching TRNN in 2007. Influenced by events such as the 2000 US presidential election, 9/11, the invasion of Iraq, and Hurricane Katrina, Jay felt that there needed to be a news network capable of making complicated concepts accessible to the average person. Jay and crew officially opened shop in Toronto in September 2007. The Real News does not accept funding from advertising, governments, or corporations. During TRNN's development stage, Jay reported turning down $50,000 in funding from the Canadian government. Though the organization initially intended to sustain itself exclusively on viewer donations after its first three years of broadcast, it has not yet reached its sustainability goal. TRNN is therefore partially reliant upon grant money for its operating funds.
Relocation to BaltimoreEdit
TRNN moved to Baltimore in June 2014. Located at 231 N Holliday St., TRNN operates out of the largest sound stage in the city. After the network's success in Toronto, Jay desired to move TRNN to an American city, one facing social and economic problems endemic to cities across the country. Using video-calling services such as Skype, TRNN's anchors and hosts interview experts from all over the world on various topics of local, national, and international importance.
The Real News features experienced professional journalists from across the globe. All in all, the organization employs around forty people.
Analysts and journalistsEdit
- CEO and Senior Editor: Paul Jay
- Journalist and Executive Producer: Sharmini Peries
- Newsroom: Kim Brown, Thomas Hedges, Kathleen Maitland-Carter, Dharna Noor, Jaisal Noor, Kayla Rivara, Gregory Wilpert, Anton Woronczuk
The Real News interviews economists, politicians, and policy experts about breaking news. Regular programs include "Reality Asserts Itself," multi-segment interviews on critical issues, and "Rattling the Bars" with host and former Black Panther Eddie Conway. Lawrence Wilkerson, former Chief of Staff to Colin Powell, is a regular contributor.
Abby Martin, Vijay Prashad, Phyllis Bennis, Gerald Horne, Robert W. McChesney, William K. Black, Max Blumenthal, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Noam Chomsky, Chuck D, Phil Donahue, Daniel Ellsberg, Yves Engler, Norman Finkelstein, Heiner Flassbeck, Danny Glover, Chris Hedges, Doug Henwood, Michael Hudson, Naomi Klein, Dennis Kucinich, Deepa Kumar, Norman Lear, Eric Margolis, Ray McGovern, Ralph Nader, Rand Paul, Ron Paul, Bernie Sanders, Yves Smith, Helen Thomas, Gore Vidal, Marcy Wheeler, Lawrence Wilkerson, Richard D. Wolff, Sheldon Wolin, and Howard Zinn are among the notable guests who have appeared on The Real News.
- "Our Mission". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Comcast Creative (@ComcastCreative)". Twitter. Retrieved 2016-11-21.
- "The Real News". Roku. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- "Contact Us". The Real News. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- "New TV News Network Coming!". Daily Kos. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- "Curiosity, driving trucks, and a dash of Roland Barthes: A POV interview with Paul Jay – Point of View Magazine". povmagazine.com. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- ""Oh, you mean the REAL news!": Interview with Paul Jay, IWT/The Real News, Part 2". Daily Kos. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- Zaleski, Andrew. "Real News Network plants roots-and tackles the "media desert"- in Baltimore". citypaper.com. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- "The Real News Media Center Grand Opening". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- "Real News Network Skypes In Voice of the Common Man | NewTek Studio". blog.newtek.com. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- "News without the sponsors". The Age. 2007-08-16. Retrieved 2016-05-13.
- "PERI: PERI Multimedia". peri.umass.edu. Retrieved 2014-09-13.