The Patsy is a 1928 American silent comedy-drama film directed by King Vidor, co-produced by and starring Marion Davies for Cosmopolitan Productions, and released by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. It was Marie Dressler's "comeback" film after a long slump in her film career. In February 2020, the film was shown at the 70th Berlin International Film Festival, as part of a retrospective dedicated to King Vidor's career.
|Directed by||King Vidor|
|Written by||Agnes Christine Johnston|
|Based on||The Patsy|
by Barry Conners
|Produced by||Marion Davies|
William Randolph Hearst
|Cinematography||John F. Seitz|
|Edited by||Hugh Wynn|
|Music by||Vivek Maddala|
|Language||Silent (English intertitles)|
The Patsy saw Marion Davies starring in her 27th film, a comedy that has been recognized as a classic. This was Davies' first film (of three) with director King Vidor and the only time she appeared with Marie Dressler. Once again, Davies bobbed her hair, this time to play the dowdy and downtrodden Patricia, the younger daughter in a household ruled by an imperious mother (Dressler) and selfish sister (Jane Winton). Vidor encouraged Davies to cut loose and use her comedic talents to their fullest, and the result was a joyous Davies who runs and somersaults and cavorts like a mad woman after she decides to "get some personality." The highlight of the film is the extended sequence where she tries to get the attention of the sleepy Billy Caldwell (Lawrence Gray). Davies resorts to impersonating Lillian Gish, Mae Murray, and Pola Negri in an effort to get Billy's attention. The transformations are truly remarkable. The reviews were rapturous and the film was a huge hit. Hearst and MGM were so impressed, they immediately assigned Vidor to begin working on another vehicle for Davies. The Patsy also served as a big comeback vehicle for Dressler.
- Slide, Anthony (2005). Silent topics : essays on undocumented areas of silent film. Lanham, Md: Scarecrow Press. p. 26. ISBN 9780810850163. OCLC 469961637.
- "Progressive Silent Film List: The Patsy". Silent Era. Retrieved March 29, 2008.
- "Berlinale 2020: Retrospective "King Vidor"". Berlinale. Retrieved February 28, 2020.
- Lorusso, Edward (2017). The Silent Films of Marion Davies. CreateSpace. pp. 149–150. ISBN 9781547247950. OCLC 1090066638.
- The Patsy at IMDb
- The Patsy at the TCM Movie Database
- The Patsy at AllMovie
- The Patsy at the American Film Institute Catalog
- The Patsy in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Gladysz, Thomas. "The Patsy (2013 presentation)". San Francisco Silent Film Festival. Retrieved April 3, 2018.
- Kiehn, David. "The Patsy (2008 presentation)". San Francisco Silent Film Festival. Retrieved April 3, 2018.