The Neptune Factor
The Neptune Factor, also known as The Neptune Disaster, is a 1973 science fiction film directed by Daniel Petrie, featuring underwater cinematography by Paul Herbermann. The film's special effects utilized underwater photography of miniatures with actual marine life.
|The Neptune Factor|
|Directed by||Daniel Petrie|
|Produced by||Sandy Howard (as Sanford Howard)|
|Written by||Jack DeWitt|
|Music by||Harry McCauley|
|Edited by||Stan Cole|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|Box office||$2,750,000 (US/ Canada)|
Marine scientists prepare to leave their underwater Oceanlab after an extended stay performing oceanographic research. An underwater earthquake interrupts their plans. Dr. Andrews (Walter Pidgeon) enlists experimental sub captain Adrien Blake (Ben Gazzara) to survey the damage and rescue the oceanauts. He brings along Chief Diver "Mack" MacKay (Ernest Borgnine) and Dr. Leah Jansen (Yvette Mimieux), fiancée of one of the scientists.
Blake finds the lab has been ripped from its moorings and has tumbled down an unexplored, deep ocean trench, presumably intact. With the lab's reserve air supply dwindling, the team descends into the unexplored trench and finds an incredible ecosystem populated with monstrously oversized fish.
After surviving encounters with unfriendly denizens, they find the lab partially intact, the surviving scientists breathing from scuba tanks and fending off giant, hungry eels. One of the scientists sacrifices his life to see the others rescued, and the submarine returns to the surface.
The film was based on an original story by writer Jack DeWitt. Gazzara and Borgnine's casting was announced in August 1972.
Filming began in Toronto in September 1972.
- Solomon, Aubrey. Twentieth Century Fox: A Corporate and Financial History (The Scarecrow Filmmakers Series). Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press, 1989. ISBN 978-0-8108-4244-1. p257
- Solomon p 232. See also "Big Rental Films of 1973", Variety, 9 January 1974 p 19. Please note figure is rentals not total gross.
- Alternate Titles for THE NEPTUNE FACTOR at IMDb
- Murphy, M. (1972, Aug 23). MOVIE CALL SHEET. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.ezproxy.sl.nsw.gov.au/docview/157121416?accountid=13902
- Murphy, M. (1972, Aug 30). MOVIE CALL SHEET. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.ezproxy.sl.nsw.gov.au/docview/157038077?accountid=13902