The Jewish War
The Jewish War or Judean War (in full Flavius Josephus's Books of the History of the Jewish War against the Romans, Greek: Φλαυίου Ἰωσήπου ἱστορία Ἰουδαϊκοῦ πολέμου πρὸς Ῥωμαίους βιβλία, Phlauiou Iōsēpou historia Ioudaikou polemou pros Rōmaious biblia), also referred to in English as The Wars of the Jews, is a book written by Josephus, a Roman-Jewish historian of the 1st century. It has been described by Steve Mason as "perhaps the most influential non-biblical text of Western history".
Hebrew–Latin edition of The Jewish War (Basle, 1559)
|Original title||Flavius Josephus's Books of the History of the Jewish War against the Romans|
|Language||Aramaic (lost), Greek|
|c. 75 AD|
|Followed by||Antiquities of the Jews|
Divided into seven books, it opens with a summary of Jewish history from the capture of Jerusalem by the Seleucid ruler Antiochus IV Epiphanes in 168 BC to the first stages of the First Jewish–Roman War (Book I and II). The next five books detail the unfolding of the war, under Roman generals Vespasian and Titus, to the death of the last Sicarii. The book was written about 75 AD, originally in Josephus's "paternal tongue" – either Aramaic or Hebrew – though this version has not survived. It was later translated into Greek, probably under the supervision of Josephus himself. Buth and Pierce wrote "the current Greek edition does not appear to be a translation, but must be considered a new edition, a complete re-working of the first writing and likely a considerable expansion."
The sources of the First Jewish–Roman War are: this account of Josephus, the Talmud (Gittin 57b), Midrash Eichah, and the Hebrew inscriptions on the Jewish coins minted, and Book V of Tacitus' Histories.
- Josèphe, Flavius (2008). Flavius Josephus: Translation and Commentary. Judean war, Flavius Josephus, Steve Mason, Honora Chapman. ISBN 978-9004169340. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- Brighton, Mark Andrew (2009). The Sicarii in Josephus's Judean War, Mark Andrew Brighton. ISBN 9781589834064. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- Hanson, Kenneth C.; Oakman, Douglas E. Palestine in the Time of Jesus: Social Structures and Social Conflicts, K. C. Hanson, Douglas E. Oakman. ISBN 9781451407136. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- Mason, Steve (19 January 2016). "Josephus's Judean War". In Honora Howell Chapman and Zuleika Rodgers (ed.). A Companion to Josephus. John Wiley & Sons. p. 13. ISBN 978-1-4443-3533-0.
- Randall Buth and Chad Pierce "EBRAISTI in Ancient Texts, Does ἑβραιστί ever Mean 'Aramaic'?" in Buth and Notley eds., Language Environment of First Century Judaea, Brill, 2014: 88–89, and footnote 64
- Buth and Pierce, op. cit., p89, footnote 64
- "See". Classics.mit.edu. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- Christopher M. Weimer. "The Slavonic Josephus' Account Of The Baptist And Jesus". Gnosis.org. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
|Greek Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Jewish War.|
- Resources > Second Temple and Talmudic Era > Flavius Josephus The Jewish History Resource Center – Project of the Dinur Center for Research in Jewish History, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- The Wars of the Jews at Project Gutenberg, William Whiston translation
- The Wars of the Jews public domain audiobook at LibriVox
- The Wars of the Jews at the Perseus Project, W. Whiston translation
- Notes on the Old Slavonic Josephus
- Hear a discussion and analysis of this monograph, on an episode of the radio series Invitation to Learning.
- Loeb Classical Library Josephus Volume 2 The Jewish War Books 1–3, H. St. J. Thackeray translation
- Loeb Classical Library Josephus Volume 3 The Jewish War Books 4–7