The High Powered Rifle
The High Powered Rifle is a 1960 American action film produced and directed by Maury Dexter and written by Joseph Fritz. The film stars Willard Parker, Allison Hayes, Dan Simmons, John Holland, Shirley O'Hara and Terrea Lea. The film was released in September 1960, by 20th Century Fox.
|The High Powered Rifle|
|Directed by||Maury Dexter|
|Screenplay by||Joseph Fritz|
|Story by||Harry Spaulding as Thomas Geary|
|Produced by||Maury Dexter|
|Edited by||Eddie Dutko|
|Music by||Albert Glasser|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
It was also known as Duel in the City.
A private eye is attacked by an assassin.
In the mid 1950s 20th Century Fox created a separate film company to make second features in CinemaScope initially called Regal Pictures, then Associated Producers Incorporated or API. Each of their features was shot in seven days in black and white with a budget of $100,000. Unlike other B Picture producers, Regal and API maintained motion picture union standards of salaries and schedules. With Fox's decreasing main feature production schedule, there was a fear that API would have to be disbanded as there were not enough main features to support (which eventually happened in the mid 1960s).
As an experiment, Robert Lippert told API producer Maury Dexter he wished to make films at half the budget and release them as double features in the manner of American International Pictures and Roger Corman's Filmgroup.
Dexter said the film's title came from Lippert and Harry Spaulding had to write a script to suit it. It was Dexter's directorial debut.
- Weaver, Tom (18 April 2014). I Talked with a Zombie: Interviews with 23 Veterans of Horror and Sci-Fi Films and Television. McFarland. pp. 103–104. ISBN 9780786452682.
- Eleanor Mannikka (2015). "The-High-Powered-Rifle - Trailer - Cast - Showtimes". Movies & TV Dept. The New York Times. Baseline & All Movie Guide. Archived from the original on 2015-09-29. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- "The High Powered Rifle (1960) - Overview". TCM.com. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- "The High Powered Rifle". Afi.com. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- "HIGH POWERED RIFLE, The". Monthly Film Bulletin. London. 27 (312): 113. 1 January 1960. ProQuest 1305822321.
- pp, 103*104 Weaver, Tom Maury Dexter Interview in I Talked with a Zombie: Interviews with 23 Veterans of Horror and Sci-fi Films and Television McFarland 18 Apr 2014
- Dexter, Maury (2012). Highway to Hollywood (PDF). p. 110.