The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity
|The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity|
|Written by||Kristoffer Diaz|
Everett K. Olson
|Date premiered||September 25, 2009|
|Place premiered||Biograph Theater|
The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity had its world premier at Chicago's Biograph Theater on September 25, 2009 in a Victory Gardens Theater production starring Desmin Borges, Kamal Angelo Bolden, Usman Ally, Jim Krag, and Christian Litke. Designed by Brian Sidney Bembridge (scenery), Jesse Klug (lights), John Boesche (projections), and Christine Pasquale (costumes) Other productions include Philadelphia's InterAct Theatre Company (October 2009), the Mixed Blood Theatre in Minneapolis (April 2010), New York's Second Stage Theatre (May 2010), the Geffen Playhouse in Los Angeles (September 2011), Actors Theater of Louisville (January 2012), the Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company in Washington, DC (September 2012), Curious Theatre Company in Denver, CO (September 2012), the Dallas Theater Center (October 2012), Charlotte's Carolina Actors Studio Theatre (April 2013)., and Sacramento's Capital Stage (July 2013). It was also produced by Barebones productions in 2017 in Pittsburgh, PA.
The New York Times said the production at the Off Broadway Second Stage Theatre "has the delicious crackle and pop of a galloping, honest-to-God, all-American satire." The New York Daily News called the same production, "flashy, fleshy and ridiculously entertaining". The Los Angeles Times said the play "leaps out of the proscenium frame at every opportunity, exhorting, drop-kicking and body-slamming its way into an immediacy that is more familiar to sporting events and rap concerts than to a traditional night of theater."
Awards and nominationsEdit
- Winner 2008 National Latino Playwriting Award
- Finalist for the 2010 Pulitzer Prize for Drama.
- Winner 2011 Obie Award for Best New American Play.
- New York Times Outstanding Playwright Award to Kristoffer Diaz (for Chad Deity) in 2011 
- Henry Hewes Design Awards Nomination for Best Scenic Design Brian Sidney Bembridge 
- Henry Hewes Design Awards Nomination for Best Production Design Brian Sidney Bembridge, Jesse Klug, Christine Pasquale, Peter Nigrini, and Mikhail Fiksel 
- Year Zero and Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity Bloom at Victory Gardens,playbill.com, September 23, 2009
- Review of Chad Deity, By J. Cooper Robb, Philadelphia Weekly, November 3, 2009
- The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity at Mixed Blood Theatre, By Janet Preus, howwastheshow.com, April 9, 2010
- Theatre Review: Body Slam to the American Dream, New York Times, May 21, 2010
- Theater review: 'The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity' at Geffen Playhouse, Los Angeles Times, September 8, 2011
- Actors Theatre's 'Chad Deity' looks into world of wrestling, The Courier-Journal, January 6, 2012
- Woolly Mammoth goes to the mat with “Chad Deity”, by Peter Marks, The Washington Post, September 12, 2012
- Curious Theatre Company stages a smackdown with wrestling play "The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity", by Lisa Kennedy, The Denver Post, September 14, 2012
- Like Wrestling, Chad Deity‘s Brawny American Allegory Isn’t Subtle, But It Sure Is Exciting, Theater Review by Lindsey Wilson, Frontrow Magazine, October 29th
- Toppman, Lawrence (February 26, 2013) “CAST pins 'Chad Deity' to the mat”, Charlotte Observer
- Bitker, Janelle "Capital Stage opens wrestling satire 'Chad Deity', Sacramento Bee, July 14, 2013
- 'The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity' review: Kristoffer Diaz's wrestling ring packs a punch, New York Daily News, May 20, 2010
- Playwright Diaz wins ATC's 2008 Latino award, Latino Perspectives Magazine, January 2009
- 2010 Pulitzer Prize Winners: Drama
- OBIE winners, 2010–2011 Archived 2011-05-20 at the Wayback Machine.
- Times’s Outstanding Playwright Award Goes to Kristoffer Diaz, New York Times, June 21, 2011