The Death of Louis XIV
The Death of Louis XIV (French: La Mort de Louis XIV) is a 2016 historical drama film written and directed by Albert Serra and starring Jean-Pierre Léaud as King Louis XIV. The film was screened out of competition at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival. It made its North American premiere at the 2016 Toronto International Film Festival and its U.S. premiere at the 54th New York Film Festival.
|The Death of Louis XIV|
|La Mort de Louis XIV|
|Directed by||Albert Serra|
|Produced by||Thierry Lounas|
|Written by||Albert Serra|
|Music by||Marc Verdaguer|
|Edited by||Ariadna Ribas|
|Distributed by||Capricci Films (France)|
New York Times critic Manohla Dargis described the film as a "mesmerizing elegy." In Screen, Allan Hunter called Léaud's performance "easily the actor’s best role and most noteworthy performance in some time." Jonathan Romney, film critic for Sight & Sound, described The Death of Louis XIV as "strange, haunting and perhaps the most beautiful film seen in Cannes in ".
|Award / Film Festival||Category||Recipients and nominees||Result|
|Jerusalem Film Festival||Haggiag Award for Best International Feature||Won|
|Wilf Family Foundation Award for Best International Film||Won|
|Lumières Awards||Best Film||Nominated|
|Best Director||Albert Serra||Nominated|
|Best Actor||Jean-Pierre Léaud||Won|
|Best Cinematography||Jonathan Ricquebourg||Won|
|Prix Louis Delluc||Best Film||Nominated|
|Prix Jean Vigo||Won|
- "'The Death of Louis XIV' ('La Mort de Louis XIV'): Cannes Review". The Hollywood Reporter. 19 May 2016.
- "Film Review: 'The Death of Louis XIV'". Variety. 20 June 2016.
- "The Death of Louis XIV". www.tiff.net. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "The Death of Louis XIV | NYFF54". Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- Dargis, Manohla (20 May 2016). "Cannes Keeps Its Traditions, Including Its Boos". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "'The Death Of Louis XIV': Review". Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "The Death of Louis XIV – first look". BFI. 23 May 2016.