|Directed by||Robby Henson|
|Written by||Robby Henson|
|Produced by||John Morrissey|
|Starring||Billy Bob Thornton|
|Edited by||Michael J. Duthie|
|Music by||David Bergeaud|
|Distributed by||Millennium Films|
Gold Circle Films
Lions Gate Films
The Badge was originally intended to be distributed by Propaganda Films, but the production company went bankrupt during the film's post-production. It was later released on DVD by Lionsgate Films.
La Salle Parish, Louisiana sheriff Darl Hardwick investigates the controversial local murder of a transsexual woman, with the highly sensitive matter being concealed as much as possible by the parish's most influential figures, such figures even going so far as to frame Hardwick for statutory rape involving a local waitress. With his career as sheriff at an end, Hardwick takes a personal stake in the investigation after becoming acquainted with Scarlett, the victim's widow. Hardwick heads down a somewhat reckless path to an understanding of the victim's world, reconciliation for past sins, and a series of dark truths within the parish itself.
- Billy Bob Thornton as Sheriff Darl Hardwick
- Patricia Arquette as Scarlett
- William Devane as The Judge
- Sela Ward as Carla Hardwick
- Julie Hagerty as Sister Felicia
- Marcus Lyle Brown as Deputy Jackson
- Ray McKinnon as Deputy C.B.
- Tom Bower as Bull Hardwick
- Thomas Haden Church as David Hardwick
- Jena Malone as Ashley Hardwick
- Audrey Marie Anderson as Teenage Waitress
- John McConnell as Ornell
- J.C. Sealy as Rhonda Hebert
- Ron Flagge as Gooch
- Huey Alexander as Cletus
- Deana Carter as Sherry
- Mark Krasnoff as Squeegee
- Cindy Roubal as Mona
- Njema Williams as Gator
- Jerry Leggio as Henry
- Brennan, Patricia (2 September 2002). "'The Badge' Finds a Home With Starz". LA Times. Retrieved 15 December 2002.
- Cox, Dan (21 November 2001). "The End of Propaganda". LA Weekly. Retrieved 15 December 2020.
- Chaw, Walter (5 February 2017) . "The Badge (2002) - DVD". Film Freak Central. Retrieved 15 December 2020.
- Powrie, Phil; Davies, Ann; Babington, Bruce (2004). The Trouble with Men: Masculinities in European and Hollywood Cinema. London and New York: Wallflower Press. pp. 202–203. ISBN 978-1-904764-08-3.
- "The Badge". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 15 December 2020.