Ten Who Dared
Ten Who Dared is a 1960 film directed by William Beaudine and starring Brian Keith, Ben Johnson, and John Beal. It was produced by Walt Disney Productions and released by Buena Vista Distribution. It tells the story of United States Army officer John Wesley Powell, who was the first to travel down the Colorado River, and the dangers that he and nine other men had to face while making a map of the region during their 1869 expedition. Hired by Walt Disney Studios in 1959 as a technical adviser, Otis R. Marston led a film crew through the Grand Canyon to film river running and background scenes for the film.
|Ten Who Dared|
|Directed by||William Beaudine|
|Produced by||Walt Disney|
|Written by||Lawrence Edward Watkin|
by John Wesley Powell
|Music by||Oliver Wallace|
|Edited by||Norman Palmer|
|Distributed by||Buena Vista Distribution|
This article needs a plot summary. (February 2018)
- Brian Keith as William "Bill" Dunn
- John Beal as Major John Wesley Powell
- James Drury as Walter Powell
- R.G. Armstrong as Oramel Howland
- Ben Johnson as George Bradley
- L.Q. Jones as Billy "Missouri" Hawkins
- Dan Sheridan as Jack Sumner
- David Stollery as Andrew "Andy" Hall
- Stan Jones as Seneca Howland
- David Frankham as Frank Goodman
- Pat Hogan as Indian Chief
- Ray Walker as McSpadden
- Jack Bighead as Ashtishkel
- Roy Barcroft as Jim Baker
- Dawn Little Sky as Indian Woman
- Chickie as Jarvie the Dog
One of the replica boats used on the film, the Emma Dean, was recovered by local raconteur, Stan A. Jones, in 1969 from the Golden Oak Ranch, a Disney movie lot in Placerita Canyon, Newhall, Santa Clarita, California. The boat is on display at the Powell Museum in Page, Arizona.
Comic book adaptionEdit
- "Otis R. Marston Collection, Huntington Library". Retrieved 2015-01-28.
- D'Arc, James V. (2010). When Hollywood came to town: a history of moviemaking in Utah (1st ed.). Layton, Utah: Gibbs Smith. ISBN 9781423605874.
- Stan Jones (1998). "Emma Dean's Last Voyage". Stan Jones' Ramblings By Boat and Boot in Lake Powell Country. Page, Arizona: Sun Country Publications. pp. 75–77.
- "Powell Museum boat vandalized". Lake Powell Chronicle. Retrieved 2013-06-14.
- "Ten Who Dared". Allmovie. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2019-01-11.
- Gritten, David, ed. (2007). "Ten Who Dared". Halliwell's Film Guide 2008. Hammersmith, London: HarperCollins Publishers. p. 1178. ISBN 0-00-726080-6.
- "Dell Four Color #1178". Grand Comics Database.
- Dell Four Color #1178 at the Comic Book DB